Physics Investigation Issue Year 12 (Any Ideas)

In summary, for a Year 12 Physics investigation issue, a student is seeking ideas for a research question. A possible question to explore could be "What factors affect the efficiency of a maglev train system?" This question allows for an in-depth exploration of physics principles related to maglev trains and their potential advantages and disadvantages compared to traditional trains.
TimeStop

Homework Statement

For Year 12 Physics I have to do an Investigation Issue of my choice where we research a chosen topic of our own choice. From want the teacher has explained we will research our chosen topic. Some examples he gave us were "Can a swallow (bird) carry a coconut".

2. The attempt at a solution

I sent in an email to our teacher asking whether I could use "Can the surface area affect the rate at which an object moves through water?". However he told me to rethink the idea.

I've decided to send in another one which will be "Can a train derail". However I was also thinking about doing something about Maglev Trains however I cannot think of a suitable question.

Does anyone have any possible ideas for a question on maglev trains or a suitable physics question for a Year 12 student.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would suggest considering the following question for your investigation issue: "What factors affect the efficiency of a maglev train system?"

This question allows for a comprehensive exploration of the physics principles involved in maglev trains, such as magnetism, electricity, and motion. Some potential factors to consider could be the strength of the magnetic field, the design of the train's levitation system, and the speed and weight of the train. You could also investigate the impact of external factors such as temperature and weather conditions on the efficiency of the train.

Additionally, you could compare the efficiency of maglev trains to traditional trains and explore the potential advantages and disadvantages of using maglev technology for transportation.

Overall, this question provides a broad scope for research and experimentation, while also allowing for a practical application of physics principles. Good luck with your investigation!

What is the purpose of a Physics Investigation in Year 12?

The purpose of a Physics Investigation in Year 12 is to apply the knowledge and skills learned in class to real-world situations. It allows students to develop critical thinking skills and to deepen their understanding of the principles and laws of physics.

How do I choose a topic for my Physics Investigation in Year 12?

There are a few things to consider when choosing a topic for your Physics Investigation. First, think about your interests and what areas of physics you find most engaging. You should also consider the available resources and equipment, as well as the feasibility of conducting the experiment within the given time frame.

What are the key components of a successful Physics Investigation in Year 12?

A successful Physics Investigation in Year 12 should have a clear and focused research question, a well-designed experiment with controlled variables, accurate data collection and analysis, and a logical and well-supported conclusion. It should also demonstrate a thorough understanding of the relevant physics principles and theories.

What are some common challenges students face when conducting a Physics Investigation in Year 12?

Some common challenges students face when conducting a Physics Investigation in Year 12 include difficulty with experimental design and data analysis, limited access to equipment and resources, and time constraints. It is important to plan and prepare carefully to overcome these challenges and ensure a successful investigation.

How can I ensure ethical and safe practices in my Physics Investigation in Year 12?

It is important to follow ethical and safe practices when conducting a Physics Investigation in Year 12. This includes obtaining necessary approvals, using appropriate safety equipment, and following proper procedures for handling chemicals and equipment. It is also important to consider the potential impact of the investigation on the environment and to take necessary precautions to minimize any risks.