Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Is Least Popular In July

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2
    Vacations are times when my physics activity peaks. 3 months off are like 3 months worth of treasured physics adventures for me - no school to distract me from indulging in my favorite hobby!

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

I know that back in the day when the number of people viewing a particular forum was visible, during the summer months the number in the homework forum was significantly less than during the school year

5. Jun 11, 2015 #4
    So, if the googling of "physics" is cyclical, I have to wonder whether all googling is cyclical, and whether July is the lowest month for all googling.

6. Jun 11, 2015 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not for "surfing" from that report.

Zz.

7. Jun 11, 2015 #6
    Ah, so. What I meant was I wonder if July is the month when the search engine, google, is used less than during any other month.

8. Jun 12, 2015 #7
    My hypothesis is that Google doesn't have a peak or trough month, considering how globally accessible it is.

9. Jun 22, 2015 #8

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

When I read the link provided, what I found most surprising is how popular the Google search items for "physics" are in countries like Somalia, Bhutan, and Ethiopia -- I sort of understand the popularity of searching for physics in the Philippines given that there is a sizable proportion of students who study technical fields there (including those who intend to pursue further studies in the US), but definitely did not expect search items in Somalia.

Although granted, I would expect Internet access in a country like Somalia to be pretty spotty, so the number of people actively searching for any items on Google will tend to be skewed to a small group.

10. Jun 22, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Judging from the statistics for June so far, there is already going to be a drop from earlier months.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook