Career Opportunities for Theoretical Physics PhDs in Lebanon & Beyond

In summary, some people think that people with a mathematics/physics background are more likely to go into academia, while others think that engineering can be a good option if you enjoy industry.
jamalkoiyess
Hello i am thinking of going into university for physics. ... i am plannig to stop only at a phd and i wanted to ask about the work opportunities in lebanon (my country) and beyon for this kind of degree taking into consideration that i will most likly graduate with a theoretical physics phd of some kind ... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't ever consider a PhD in a subject just for a job! Expect to be filled with passion about the topics if you're willing to spend the next 10 years studying them! You may want to look into an engineering physics undergrad or a mathematics physics undergrad to prepare you for proofs etc. Remember, the man in your profile picture taught himself calculus, trig and differentials before he turned 15. Also consider studying abroad after your undergrad! There's a lot of opportunity in the states!

Dodsy said:
I wouldn't ever consider a PhD in a subject just for a job! Expect to be filled with passion about the topics if you're willing to spend the next 10 years studying them! You may want to look into an engineering physics undergrad or a mathematics physics undergrad to prepare you for proofs etc. Remember, the man in your profile picture taught himself calculus, trig and differentials before he turned 15. Also consider studying abroad after your undergrad! There's a lot of opportunity in the states!
Yh yh i am the most passionate person about physics in my whole country ... i simply love it ... and the man in my profile is my idol i can never be as good as he was all though i wish... but my parents are always telling me to go for engineering because of the work opportunities so i was just asking

You should never think that. I actually did teach myself those things at an early age and then later decided to not care about high school. Life is a journey and you may find that you make an amazing discovery, one which even Feynman would be jealous! Remember he said "I already got the prize, the prize is finding the thing out." Still, as I said you should consider a mathematics/physics program for your undergrad or you should consider an engineering physics or mathematics engineering major. Engineering can be good if you enjoy industry (which I do not!) but if you consider academia or a professorship an option it's good to take an engineering physics or mathematics engineering major. If you straight up despise industry then go for math/physics.Industry = Capitalism, money, factories (think $$$$)
Academia = Research, Teaching, Learning (think Nobel prizes)I luckily learned early in life that I would rather earn a Nobel prize than $$$$$

Last edited:
Although one could argue that the percentage of people who go into "industry" from a physics or mathematics background that then do some kind of research or development work that they are happy with and uses their scientific skills is orders of magnitude larger than those who go on in academia and win a Nobel Prize.

Likes billy_joule
Well that's an obvious and silly thing to say! Obviously the chances of winning a Nobel Prize are slim. I'm just being a tad inspirational! I think people with maths/physics backgrounds are more likely to go into academia than engineering backgrounds. But still an engineering physics major or engineering maths major or engineering science major could certainly go into academia!I'll rephrase my last sentance. I'd rather have a drive to earn a nobel prize than my first million. Even if I made the first million along the way I wouldn't be happy. I feel Elon Musk hopes to win a Nobel prize and does not care much about money.

Dodsy said:
You should never think that. I actually did teach myself those things at an early age and then later decided to not care about high school. Life is a journey and you may find that you make an amazing discovery, one which even Feynman would be jealous! Remember he said "I already got the prize, the prize is finding the thing out." Still, as I said you should consider a mathematics/physics program for your undergrad or you should consider an engineering physics or mathematics engineering major. Engineering can be good if you enjoy industry (which I do not!) but if you consider academia or a professorship an option it's good to take an engineering physics or mathematics engineering major. If you straight up despise industry then go for math/physics.Industry = Capitalism, money, factories (think $$$$)
Academia = Research, Teaching, Learning (think Nobel prizes)I luckily learned early in life that I would rather earn a Nobel prize than $$$$$
Well look what i have been told that engineers get all the crazy cash and physicists aren't so wealthy ... i don't want all that cash all my desires are only a proper life i want no crazy cars and limousines i only want to be able to look at anything and explain it totally using physics ... u getting me here ? I love physics and if i ever get a nobel price i will hit myself so hard i will die before geting it because of my happiness

I am not the kind of person who designs new generation of tanks for better killing orphans and families ... as i told u all i want is a proper life full of research physics and labs with all my nerdy friends and some achivement that i would be pleased to make

jamalkoiyess said:
Well look what i have been told that engineers get all the crazy cash and physicists aren't so wealthy
But what data is this based on? Engineering is a profession. Physics is an academic subject. Those who have been educated in physics and go on to get jobs outside of academia tend to report median salaries towards the middle of the pack of the engineering disciplines.

jamalkoiyess said:
I am not the kind of person who designs new generation of tanks for better killing orphans and families ... as i told u all i want is a proper life full of research physics and labs with all my nerdy friends and some achivement that i would be pleased to make
One of the issues with inventing or developing anything - whether it's a new principle in physics or a new machine - is that you don't get to control what other people use it for.

I'm sure you'll find the path that you want. The opportunities for a theoretical physics PhD are very limited if you plan to stay in academia, regardless of what country you're in. That's not likely to change over the coming decade. My advice would be to pursue it if you're that passionate about it, but just make sure you pick up some marketable skills along the way.

Likes Dodsy
Choppy, good advice I completely agree!

Likes jamalkoiyess
Choppy said:
But what data is this based on? Engineering is a profession. Physics is an academic subject. Those who have been educated in physics and go on to get jobs outside of academia tend to report median salaries towards the middle of the pack of the engineering disciplines.One of the issues with inventing or developing anything - whether it's a new principle in physics or a new machine - is that you don't get to control what other people use it for.

I'm sure you'll find the path that you want. The opportunities for a theoretical physics PhD are very limited if you plan to stay in academia, regardless of what country you're in. That's not likely to change over the coming decade. My advice would be to pursue it if you're that passionate about it, but just make sure you pick up some marketable skills along the way.
Thanks choppy for the advice and i rly want to pursue a theoretical physics research job... do u have any idea of the job opportunities?

jamalkoiyess said:
Thanks choppy for the advice and i rly want to pursue a theoretical physics research job... do u have any idea of the job opportunities?

I'm a medical physicist and so I'm not really in a great position to talk about job opportunities for people on the theoretical side of things. However, in academia a reasonable rule of thumb is that the average professor will supervise about 10 graduate students through to the completion of a PhD over a career. One of those, one will go on to replace the professor. The others are likely going to leave academia eventually.

What they end up doing career-wise will depend a lot on the skills that they develop along the way and the opportunities that come along when they graduate or get out onto the market. I'm sure in some cases you'll have people that will go on into teaching roles at universities or community colleges that don't have PhD programs, for example. But a lot are going to leave academia and those that remain face a very competitive environment - to the point where simply putting your nose to the grindstone won't allow you to out-compete the others.

Choppy said:
I'm a medical physicist and so I'm not really in a great position to talk about job opportunities for people on the theoretical side of things. However, in academia a reasonable rule of thumb is that the average professor will supervise about 10 graduate students through to the completion of a PhD over a career. One of those, one will go on to replace the professor. The others are likely going to leave academia eventually.

What they end up doing career-wise will depend a lot on the skills that they develop along the way and the opportunities that come along when they graduate or get out onto the market. I'm sure in some cases you'll have people that will go on into teaching roles at universities or community colleges that don't have PhD programs, for example. But a lot are going to leave academia and those that remain face a very competitive environment - to the point where simply putting your nose to the grindstone won't allow you to out-compete the others.
Thats souds terrifying ... all my life i wanted to speculate into the cosmos and solve the dark matter or dark energy probleme for exemple or discover a better understanding of the quantum world. .. but now you tell me it's only possible to work for capitalists or die in academia ? Is there no peacefull research lab ?

Jamalkoiyess, you have explained why you want to do what you want to do. Fair enough. But what you haven't done is explained why someone else should pay you to do this. That's kind of important.

Vanadium 50 said:
Jamalkoiyess, you have explained why you want to do what you want to do. Fair enough. But what you haven't done is explained why someone else should pay you to do this. That's kind of important.
Of course its important to fund science . We are humans we can't live forever we can't stay on Earth forever we should fund scientists cz we need interstellar travel we need new energy sources we need new health systems that could better develop our bodies and minds ... we are weaker than we think and if we stay like this , full of arrogance only creating new phones and exploiting mother Earth we will be extinct ... someone should employ scientists for a better future and if i find no one with a single goal of brighter tomorrow than why bother myself and sacrifice my time working on anything for a humanity that is so dump.

You make it sound like working for industry means giving up your soul to heartless capitalists. Sure, for some industries, this will likely to be the case. And I understand you don't want to build tank or new phones. But who do you think makes new life-saving medicines and medical technologies all day? Industry. How do you think humans achieved this standard of living? By people solving the dark energy problem? No, by people doing research in industry.

Of course do what you love. But don't make academia some kind of angels, while industry is the big bad devil. It's just not that black and white.

Likes symbolipoint, billy_joule, Student100 and 1 other person
micromass said:
You make it sound like working for industry means giving up your soul to heartless capitalists. Sure, for some industries, this will likely to be the case. And I understand you don't want to build tank or new phones. But who do you think makes new life-saving medicines and medical technologies all day? Industry. How do you think humans achieved this standard of living? By people solving the dark energy problem? No, by people doing research in industry.

Of course do what you love. But don't make academia some kind of angels, while industry is the big bad devil. It's just not that black and white.
Hahahahhaha thanks for that point you really conviced me . So physics it is :) love u guys and merry Christmas

1. What career options are available for theoretical physics PhDs in Lebanon and beyond?

Theoretical physics PhDs have a wide range of career opportunities in Lebanon and beyond. They can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and private companies. Some common job titles for theoretical physics PhDs include research scientist, data scientist, software engineer, and university professor.

2. How does the job market for theoretical physics PhDs look like in Lebanon and other countries?

The job market for theoretical physics PhDs in Lebanon and other countries is highly competitive. However, with the increasing demand for professionals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, there are plenty of job opportunities available. It is important for candidates to have a strong publication record and relevant research experience to stand out in the job market.

3. What skills do employers look for in theoretical physics PhDs?

Employers look for a combination of technical skills and transferable skills in theoretical physics PhDs. Technical skills such as mathematical modeling, data analysis, and programming are highly valued. Additionally, employers also seek candidates with strong communication, critical thinking, and teamwork skills.

4. Can theoretical physics PhDs work in industries outside of academia?

Yes, theoretical physics PhDs can work in various industries outside of academia. Their analytical and problem-solving skills are highly sought after in industries such as finance, technology, and data science. With the increasing emphasis on innovation and technology, there is a growing demand for theoretical physics PhDs in non-academic sectors.

5. What opportunities are available for theoretical physics PhDs in terms of research collaborations and international opportunities?

Theoretical physics PhDs have the opportunity to collaborate with researchers and institutions from all over the world. This can be through international conferences, workshops, and joint research projects. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer postdoctoral positions that allow theoretical physics PhDs to work with renowned researchers and gain international experience.