Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Physics Kinematic Problem - need help

1. Jun 21, 2005 #1
    Physics Kinematic Problem -- need help

Well here I am studying for the final and this question pops up and I have no idea how to do it. I know the answer however, but it does not realy help me.

If you walk 6.0 km in a straight line in a direction north of east and you end up 2.0 km east and several kilometers north. How many degrees north of east have you walked?

Choices:

a) 19 degrees
    b) 45 degrees
    c) 60 degrees
    d) 71 degrees

Answer: d

Thank you for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2005 #2
    The trig to this is to try drawing the walk on a piece of paper.

4. Jun 21, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Did you draw a diagram? I drew a triangle with a vertex at the origin and the hypotenuse going north and east (up and to the right) for 6 units. The opposite side would be 2 units....Can you finish from there?

5. Jun 21, 2005 #4
    would it be possible to draw it in the forum?? I still don't get it. I knew how to do this a while ago and it was pretty easy. I did draw a diagram but it didn't really help for some reason. Maybe I read the question wrong, but either way I still don't understand. :cry:

AH HA!! Thanks Fred. When you said 'opposite' I thought it meant opposite side of the plane. Ah it means the opposite side. Ok thanks I get it.

Cos -1 (2/6) = 71

:D

Thanks again

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  6. Jun 22, 2005 #5
    This is simple. First you walk 6km north of east, you end up 2km east and some km's north . Draw a triangle representing the above values where base=2 and hypotenuse=6

therefore,

[itex]cosQ= \frac{1}{3}[/itex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook