1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics kinematics problem

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You throw an object directly upward at the same time a person drops an object down to you from a height, H. The two objects pass at a height H/2. With what speed did you throw the object upward?

2. Relevant equations
    Simple kinematics equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I haven't done physics for a while so I'm not certain if I'm entirely off track on this one:

I set up two equations for the motion of the balls (I'm allowing g = -10m/s/s); hence, I got h_a = (gt^2)/2 + H and h_b = (gt^2)/2 + vbi(t) where h_a is the height of the ball being dropped and h_b is the height of the ball being thrown (sorry if my notation is poor or non-standard). Since the balls are released simultaneously and pass at height H/2, I allow t1 to designate the amount of time required for the balls to reach H/2. By equating the two (h_a = h_b = H/2) I get (gt1^2)/2 + H = (gt1^2)/2 + vbi(t1), which solving for vbi produces vbi = H/t1. To solve for t1 I set up the equation H/2 = (gt1^2)/2 + H, and with some manipulations get t1^2 = -H/g and consequently t1 = sqrt(H/abs(g)). Using my value for t1 in my equation for vbi yields vbi = H(sqrt(abs(g)/H) = sqrt(Habs(g)).

Sorry the work is so messy, I don't know how to use Latex.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Looks good to me! Nicely done.

4. Feb 2, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?