What is the Time to Slide 10m After Falling from a Truck?

• Thread starter angel1410
  • Start date
In summary, we can determine the time it takes for the box to slide the last 10m by using the equations vf2 = vi2 + 2ax and x = vit + at2/2. By solving for the acceleration and plugging in the given values, we can find that the box takes approximately 2.82 seconds to slide the last 10m.
angel1410

Homework Statement

A box accidentally falls from the back of a truck and hits the ground with a speed of 15m/s[Forward]. It slides along the groud with uniform acceleration for a distance of 45m before coming to rest. Determine the time it takes to slide the last 10m

Homework Equations

v2=v1+a t
displacement=vi x t + 1/2 acceleration x t^2
displacement=v1 +v2 /2 x time

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
surely you can give it a try ! :), state the givens you have there

PhysicsAdvice said:
surely you can give it a try ! :), state the givens you have there

Well, i tried with the equation displacement=v1 x time + 1/2 (acceleration) (time)^2
but i am not sure if i am using the right equation and subbing in the variables right.
I subbed in: v1=15m/s acceleration=-2.5m/s^2 displacment=10m v2=0
and I got the answer 11.29m but i am not sure if its right. HELP!

angel1410 said:
Well, i tried with the equation displacement=v1 x time + 1/2 (acceleration) (time)^2
but i am not sure if i am using the right equation and subbing in the variables right.
I subbed in: v1=15m/s acceleration=-2.5m/s^2 displacment=10m v2=0
and I got the answer 11.29m but i am not sure if its right. HELP!

The question is, How much time does it take the box to travel it's last 10m before coming to rest?

The answer you gave is 11.29m.
That's not a quantity of time.

You need to determine how fast the box is moving after it travels 35m, which is when it has 10m left to travel.

Then you can determine how much time it takes to travel from that speed to 0m/s.

vf2 = vi2 + 2ax
0 = 225 -2 x a x 45 ( Box becomes rest finally. So the acceleration is negative )
a = 2.5 m/s2 in opposite direction
x = vit + at2/2
35 = 15t - 2.5t2/2
28 = 12t - t2
t = 6 - 2[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] sec.
similarly,
Total time T = 6sec.
Time taken to cover last 10m = 6 - 6 + 2[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]
[tex]\approx[/tex] 2 x 1.41
= 2.82 sec.
Is it correct?

Perfect!

1. What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It deals with concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in various real-life applications, such as designing roller coasters, analyzing sports movements, and predicting the motion of projectiles. It is also used in the development of technologies like self-driving cars and space exploration.

3. What are the basic equations of kinematics?

The basic equations of kinematics are displacement, velocity, and acceleration. The equations are as follows:

Displacement: x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at2

Velocity: v = v0 + at

Acceleration: a = (v - v0) / t

4. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics is concerned with the motion of objects, while dynamics is concerned with the forces that cause the motion. Kinematics deals with the what and how of motion, while dynamics deals with the why.

5. How can I solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, and then use the appropriate kinematic equation to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to draw a diagram and label all the given information to help visualize the problem.