How Should You Analyze Data from a Cantilever Beam Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics lab on cantilevers and the difficulties the speaker faces in graphing and finding the correct formula to use. After some help and suggestions, the speaker is able to correctly plot the data and find the constant and gradient values, and they discuss the concept of Young's modulus and moments of inertia in relation to their experiment.
DarkBlitz
1. Hey! i have done a physics lab on cantilevers, and what i did

1. Hey! i have done a physics lab on cantilevers, and what i did was i varied the length of the leaver while keeping the force applied constant and measured the displacement down of the leaver. However, i am not sure what to graph and what formula i should be using as we have not done cantilevers in school (this is a design lab and we can investigate anything).

2. i calculated the spring constant (k) for each of the different lengths by using f=-kx but I'm not sure if that is the right formula to use. i have graphed (length of leaver)^2 VS. Displacement but i am not sure what the gradient is equal too. And i tried graphing the Length of leaver VS. K that i calculated but i get an exponential and have no clue what the gradient is equal too.

It would be very helpful you someone could please point me in the right direction!

Physics news on Phys.org

Try listening to your heart. The side it is placed on is called left. Right is the opposite one.

The displacement does not vary with the length squared. It varies with the length cubed. I assume you are applying a load at the end of the cantilever each time, and measuring the displacement at that end each time you change the length while keeping the load the same? You should see a pattern developing.

ah thanks guys, ill have another go at it now
its a one sided cantilever by the way, fixed at one end. We haven't done any work on cantilevers yet in class, the teacher just gave us our first complete lab for over the summer and cantilevers was the topic.

Edit: i just graphed it and its more linear then the graph i had before thanks!
and i looked for a formula with l^3 in relation to cantilevers and i found this one

k=F/delta=(ewt^3)/(4l^3)

oh wait, so delta (displacement) is proportional to (L^3) ahhh then rearranging 4f/ewt^3=delta/l^3

but shouldn't w be different for all the readings because the length was varied, therefore changing the k value for each reading?

im guessing that i should calculate the E for the different lengths of cantilever? and because i didn't measure the width of the ruler i guess i will have to use standardized measurements and state it in my conclusion and evaluations then :/

im just thinking out loud kinda here :P
so what i can do with these results is calculate the value for e any length of a cantilever made from that specific ruler? is that correct?

Last edited:

Jay's assertion about displacement being proportional to L cubed is for a perfect cantilever, but your cantilever had support, material, and geometric imperfections that might cause this ideal relationship to vary. Plotting Displacement against L^3 will show you the reality, and you should think about and report on what the variations might be. Your formula is correct, but engineers usually refer to the elastic constant E (not e) as Young's modulus. A further thought is that by rearranging your expression as displacement d = C*L^3 where C is a constant, and then if you plot log d v C*log L, the gradient will have a meaningful value for you.

Ok thanks for the help, i tried what you said, and i got the constant to be 24.311, and the gradient of the log d vs c*log l graph to be 0.1158 :S is that gradient equal to 3log(4f/Ewt^3)? but its not eqaul :S i am really confused :/ the constant i have must be wrong then :/ ill try and find out

Last edited:

is C the constant of integration? or is it just some other constant? cose i looked it up on google and there was calculus and inertia moments, and I've only just started calculus and we haven't done any work on cantilevers in class so i am confused about the moments of inertia :S

GAH! just realsied tat w is width not angular velocity... so i should be able to calculate the E of the material...

thanks for all the help guys!

You get C from the formula you gave F/delta=(ewt^3)/(4l^3) rearranged so that delta= C*l^3

1. What is a cantilever in physics?

A cantilever is a structure that is supported at one end and freely hangs over a space at the other end. In physics, it is often used as a simple model for studying beams and bending forces.

2. How is a cantilever used in a physics lab?

In a physics lab, a cantilever is often used to demonstrate principles of mechanics, such as the relationship between force and displacement. It can also be used to measure the properties of materials, such as their Young's modulus or stiffness.

3. What are the main components of a cantilever?

A cantilever consists of a beam or rod that is fixed at one end and has a load or weight applied to the other end. It can also have additional components such as supports or sensors for measuring forces or deflection.

4. What are some real-life applications of cantilevers?

Cantilevers have many practical applications, such as in bridges, cranes, and diving boards. They are also used in microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) for sensing and actuation, and in atomic force microscopy for imaging and manipulating small objects.

5. How do you calculate the deflection of a cantilever?

The deflection of a cantilever can be calculated using principles of mechanics, such as Hooke's law for linear elastic materials. It also depends on factors such as the applied load, the length and stiffness of the cantilever, and the material properties. Advanced techniques, such as finite element analysis, can also be used to calculate the deflection of complex cantilever structures.