1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics lab on energy need help

1. Oct 10, 2013 #1
    Physics lab on energy need help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Need to find velocity and time when I know all lengths/heights. Need to look at picture to fully understand my problem.

2. Relevant equations

Projectile motion equations... And velocity equations..

3. The attempt at a solution
    On picture

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2013 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Since you know the height of the ramp, you know the potential energy which all gets converted into kinetic energy coming off the ramp. Since you know the kinetic energy, you know the velocity... since you know the velocity, and the height of the table, you know how far it will go before it hits the ground.

4. Oct 11, 2013 #3
    Ok so my kinetic energy would be mass x 9.8 x .05 (height of ramp). Is this right? I don't know the mass though.

5. Oct 11, 2013 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Maybe you'll get lucky and it will cancel or drop out of your solution. :wink:

6. Oct 11, 2013 #5
    Okay so I came up with v^2= 2gh. 2 x 9.8 x .05 = .98 and the square root of .98 is .99. This is my velocity. Then to find my time do I divide my velocity by .75?

7. Oct 11, 2013 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

no, the velocity is is in the x direction right? How fast will it accelerate towards the ground in the y direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted