1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics lab report

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    i am a A student in my university , and i just want to keep it that way can anyone give me an idea for reaching a perfect physics lab report and thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2
    depends all on the TA.

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    i mean the best steps how in general because in physics its almost the same
    some finish the report with results and conclusion others just write conclusion or the beginning ,
    in other words does a perfect lab report or not?

5. Dec 10, 2011 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It depends on which class this is for (first-year introductory physics? a more advanced class?), and on the policies or customs at your university.

6. Dec 10, 2011 #5
    yes first year and the customs , i dont what do you mean exactly

7. Dec 10, 2011 #6
    I think the most important thing is good content. The exposition is not so important as long as it makes sense and is systematic. The most important thing is that you put yourself in the mind of the reader and include the necessary details so that they don't sit there scratching their heads when they read it.

When you know everything yourself it is easy to neglect important details that are crucial for the reader... So you must have a well-defined idea of what the reader already knows, i.e. you must know your target audience.

8. Dec 10, 2011 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Different universities, and sometimes even different instructors in the same university, expect different things in lab reports. They may expect the same general things (description of procedure, data tables, analysis, conclusions), but they may want different amounts of detail, or arrange things in a different sequence (such as "some finish the report with results and conclusion others just write conclusion or the beginning").

Therefore, it's impossible for us to say what makes a "perfect lab report" in your class at your university. You need to ask your instructor about it.

9. Dec 10, 2011 #8
    they rae no specific way you do the experiment and the report is done by you

10. Dec 10, 2011 #9

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

You may ask to read examples of "perfect" lab reports. You would learn the elements necessary. I would also want to read examples of "not perfect" reports. This would help you avoid mistakes others have made.

11. Dec 11, 2011 #10
    ok that is one interesting idea bobbywhy thank you

12. Dec 11, 2011 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ask your lab instructor how they want their lab reports. It is irrelevant as to what the "perfect" lab report is. All that matters is how your instructor wants it. You could write the "perfect" lab report and if it is not what your instructor wants, you will rightfully lose points.

13. Dec 11, 2011 #12
    the question is simple people , i want to write the perfect physics lab report the instructor has given us total freedom , i have the information but i just want to find the right formation is my question thank you all

14. Dec 11, 2011 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And you got answers. If you are unsatisfied with them, a well-stated explanation of why they are unsatisfactory (complete with capital letters and proper punctuation) will go a lot farther.

15. Dec 11, 2011 #14
    Get the answers correct and write in proper English, unlike how you have done in this thread.

16. Dec 14, 2011 #15
    sorry for being rude, but i really want to be an A student in everything even in lab report.
    the professor gave us the freedom to write the way we want , i just wold love some tips for making my lab report so interesting thats all and sorry for anyone who took me in a bad way im really sorry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook