1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Lab set up! Need to find force of friction of a ball rolling down a track.

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    1. I need to set up a lab. The goal is to find the force of friction between a track and a ball. The track is flexible and tilted so that it slopes down. Looking at it from the side, the track looks like half of a U. The ball is released from the top of the track and somehow I have to figure out the friction.

2. Force of friction=u* normal force
    Fnet=ma
    delta y =Voy*t+1/2at^2

]3. If I just found the mass of ball, roll it down the track and time it, then plug into the distance equation to solve for acceleration, then take that into the f=ma equation, would that give me the answer? I am not sure how the force of friction is related to the net force, or how to find this without knowing the coefficient of friction.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    Re: Physics Lab set up! Need to find force of friction of a ball rolling down a track

Can you please elaborate on what the track looks like? Is it a parabola? Is its function known?
    Give us also a bit more data on what you're allowed to measure, and when? Say the height of the ball at any given moment, or its position, velocity, what are you restrictions/limitations?
    Daniel

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook