Physics Lecturer: Job Description, Pay, Allowance & Satisfaction

• Physics
  • Thread starter Mit-chan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a lecturer in the US is a lower-ranking faculty member, and they do not usually receive benefits like health care.
Mit-chan
Yeah, so I'm a physics student (sorry, it's obvious, I know) and I am seriously considering taking on a job as a lecturer (a teacher first) after I graduate.

I'm interested to know how is it like, the pay, the monthly allowance, the satisfaction you get, etc. Any current physics lecturer in here, or something similar- or perhaps know something about such issue to give an advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
This varies enormously from country to country, even with regard to job title. A "lecturer" in the UK is the lowest rung of permanent faculty, but in the US it's usually a title given to a part-timer.

In the US:

Note that in the present economic downturn, some colleges are disposing of lecturers, choosing to instead reduce the number of times per year that upper-level courses are offered (some even being offered every other year).

Being a lecturer does often mean part-time (if there are courses left after tenured and tenure-track faculty fulfill their teaching obligations)... and this means you probably will not receive benefits (health, etc.).

As such, you're a second-rate citizen in the department... even if you get teaching awards and win grants for education research (doing that on the side).

Note: Our department chair is very supportive of lecturers (in our case, it adds to the diversity of the department.. and in my particular case... I've been winning intra-university education research grants to get funds for my class and to go to conference with my research results)... but I still feel this way, and my job is still in jeopardy after this term.

I'd take a lecturer position only if it's the only thing you can get at the time. Honestly.

Thanks for the help, guys. My uni is in Perth, Western Australia. US and UK's market doesn't seem compromising to me regarding such job. :bugeye:

1. What is the job description of a physics lecturer?

A physics lecturer is responsible for teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in physics, conducting research in the field of physics, and advising students on academic and career matters. They may also be involved in curriculum development, supervising research projects, and publishing scholarly articles.

2. How much do physics lecturers get paid?

The salary of a physics lecturer can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and institution. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for postsecondary physics teachers was $97,320 as of May 2020.

3. Do physics lecturers receive any allowances?

Many physics lecturers receive additional benefits and allowances on top of their base salary. These may include health insurance, retirement plans, vacation time, and professional development opportunities. Some institutions also offer housing allowances or relocation assistance.

4. Is job satisfaction high for physics lecturers?

Job satisfaction can vary for different individuals, but overall, physics lecturers tend to report high levels of job satisfaction. This is due to the opportunity to work in a dynamic and intellectually stimulating field, the chance to share knowledge and inspire students, and the potential for personal and professional growth through research and teaching.

5. What qualifications are needed to become a physics lecturer?

To become a physics lecturer, you typically need a PhD in physics or a related field. Some institutions may also require prior teaching experience or a teaching certification. Additionally, having a strong research background and publications in reputable journals can also be beneficial for securing a job as a physics lecturer.