Solving a Locomotive Dilemma: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter chawki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Locomotive
In summary, two trains are on the same track driving in opposite directions and the only aid is a short spur line. Each train has one engine and one wagon. The trains are able to pass each other by using the spur line and exchanging their wagons. The solution involves the trains taking turns using the spur line and exchanging their wagons.
chawki

Homework Statement

The picture shows the unfortunate situation in which two locomotive drivers found themselves. The trains are driving in opposite directions on the same track.
The only aid is one short spur line. It can take one engine or one wagon at a time. There is only one engine and one wagon in each train. Both ends of the engine can be hooked on a wagon. A wagon can be hooked in both ends, of course either on another wagon or on an engine

Homework Equations

How can they pass each other?
How would you advise the locomotive drivers? Please draw a step by step solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

the wagon from the train on the right stays on the track while the engine of the same train goes to the spur line, then the train on the left goes forward and hooked the wagon which is still on the track...

Attachments

• Trains.JPEG
    Trains.JPEG
    4.2 KB · Views: 625
Physics news on Phys.org
The wagons are empty and identical, so the drivers exchange places. Ha!

think again...they didn't give all those information for nothing...

Chawki, do you know the solution?

Can one of of the trains drop a wagon off and leave it?

i.e. can the white train leave its wagon where it is and then park in the spur. Of course and the end of the transition, it will pick it back up.

If so it should only take 4-5 trades.

Only two of objects ever need to park on the spur: the black locomotive, then the black wagon.

SammyS said:
Chawki, do you know the solution?
i don't know the solution, but you can see what i said when trying to find it...

the attempt by OP seems reasonable...

This is tricky...the end should be with white train on the LEFT and black treain on the RIGHT.

erok81 said:
Can one of of the trains drop a wagon off and leave it?

i.e. can the white train leave its wagon where it is and then park in the spur. Of course and the end of the transition, it will pick it back up.

If so it should only take 4-5 trades.

Your idea is great...Yes it can

ashishsinghal said:
the attempt by OP seems reasonable...

what is OP?

chawki said:
what is OP?
OP: Original Post 0r Original Poster

Ok sammy, anyway..after long day thinking about it..i found the solution..i will scan in soon

took me all day :shy:

Attachments

• img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 514
chawki said:
took me all day :shy:
Excellent! I mean the solution is excellent!

My solution was:
1. Black Locomotive leaves its wagon on the main track and then parks itself on the spur.
2. White Locomotive with its wagon moves forward attaching to the black wagon and making sure the white wagon clears the spur.
3. Black Locomotive pulls out of the spur and down the main track far enough so the White Locomotive can complete the next step.
4. White Locomotive with black wagon attached backs down the main track until the black wagon clears the spur. (White Locomotive is also pushing the white wagon.)
5. White Locomotive pushes the black wagon onto the spur, leaving it there, then backs onto the main track.
6. White Locomotive with white wagon proceeds on to its destination.
7. Black Locomotive backs onto spur to retrieve the black wagon, then proceeds on.

A picture is worth a thousand words - or so.

Yes yes sammy, your way is better, shortcut of mine :P
because there is no need to put the black wagon in the spur.. it will just add more steps...
but well...what a day... if i didn't find the solution today ..i would possibly dream about it tonight XD

chawki,

Here's the picture. I still think you did a very good job. There are other solutions with quite a bit more shuffling.

Attachments

• trains.jpg
    trains.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 527

1. What is a locomotive dilemma?

A locomotive dilemma refers to a situation where a locomotive or train is faced with an obstacle or problem that prevents it from moving forward, and requires a solution to be resolved.

2. How can I solve a locomotive dilemma?

To solve a locomotive dilemma, you can follow a step-by-step guide that involves identifying the problem, evaluating potential solutions, and implementing the most feasible solution.

3. What are some common causes of locomotive dilemmas?

There are several factors that can lead to a locomotive dilemma, such as mechanical failures, track obstructions, signal malfunctions, and human error.

4. What are the key steps in solving a locomotive dilemma?

The key steps in solving a locomotive dilemma include assessing the situation, communicating with relevant parties, analyzing potential solutions, implementing the chosen solution, and monitoring for any further complications.

5. How can I prevent locomotive dilemmas from occurring?

To prevent locomotive dilemmas, regular maintenance and inspections should be conducted on the locomotive and tracks. In addition, proper training and communication protocols should be in place for railway personnel to minimize the risk of human error.