Physics (magnetic) Homework due

In summary, the problem is asking for the magnitude and direction of the smallest magnetic field that will allow a wire with a linear mass of 1 g/cm to move horizontally to the North while carrying a current of 1.5Amps towards the East. The forces acting on the wire include its weight, the normal reaction from the surface, a Lorentz Force, and a friction force. The resultant of these forces must be equal to the friction force in order for the wire to move. The equation for the Lorentz Force is given by \vec{F}=I(\vec{L}X\vec{B}).
usatkling
Physics (magnetic) Homework due need help urgent

I have a question. Please help

A wire having a linear mass of 1 g/cm is place on a horizontal surface that has a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.2 . The wire carries a current of 1.5Amps toward the East, which is to the right of this page, and slide horizontally to the North , which is the top of this page. What are the magnitude and direction of the smallest magnetic field that enables the wire to move in this manner?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF usatkling!

What are the forces acting on the body? Its weight, the normal reaction from the surface, a Lorentz Force and a friction force. Their resultant will cause the body to accelerate unless their resultant is zero.

I still didn't get it. It make no sense. There is no electric field involve here. The question is how to relate The external magetic field B to the current of the wire.
I know the resultant force in the moving need to be equal to the friction force

all u have to do is set the force of friction equal to the force equation between to magnetic fields in two wires, i can't think of the formula right now but I am sure u can find it.

the friction should be uN, which is (.2)(mg)-> (.2)((1 g/cm)*L g) where L is length of the wire

The Lorents Force on a conductor of length L carrying a current I when placed in a uniform magnetic field B is given by

[tex]\vec{F}=I(\vec{L}X\vec{B})[/tex]

1. What is the definition of magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that arises between objects due to their motion or spin. It is caused by the alignment and movement of electrons within the object.

2. How does magnetism relate to electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related as they are both caused by the movement of electrons. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents.

3. What are the differences between magnetic fields and magnetic materials?

Magnetic fields are invisible areas of magnetic force around a magnet, while magnetic materials are objects that are attracted to magnets and can be magnetized themselves. Not all materials are magnetic, but all materials have a magnetic field.

4. How do you calculate the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * (I/2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

5. How do you use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field?

The right-hand rule states that when you point your thumb in the direction of the current, the direction of your fingers curling represents the direction of the magnetic field. This rule can also be used to determine the direction of force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field.