Physics magnitude of avg acceleration

In summary, a baseball player hits a line drive and the ball's average acceleration is calculated by finding the change in velocity over the change in time. The time interval for acceleration is very small, causing a large acceleration. Very small objects like baseballs tend to accelerate quickly, resulting in larger numbers. The change in velocity should be calculated properly, taking into account the direction of the velocity. In this case, the magnitude of the change in velocity is 0, as the ball's initial and final velocities are in opposite directions. So the average acceleration would be the sum of the initial and final velocities divided by the time interval.
sycho2
A baseball player hits a line drive. Just before the ball is struck, it is moving east at a speed of 37.6 m/s (84 mi/h). Just after contact with the bat, 1.05x10^-3 s later, the ball is moving west at a speed of 51 m/s (114 mi/h). Find the ball's average acceleration.

So i know that to find avg acc is the change in velocity over the change in time. But I've tried doing 51-37.6 over .00105 but that gives me a ridiculously large number and i know its wrong. I realized that the time interval isn't the overall time, I don't understand how to get that time or maybe is there another way to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You solved the problem correctly!

It was good of you to second guess your answer when you found a number larger than any you have seen before, however, when the time for acceleration is that small, and the change in velocity is not, the acceleration MUST be very large.

As a general rule of thumb, very small things accelerate very quickly, so expect larger numbers from things like baseballs, bugs, or atoms; large things accelerate slowly, so expect small numbers from things like cars, trains, or planets.

Sure, expect large accelerations when the action takes place over tiny time intervals. Just make sure that you calculate the change in velocity properly. Watch out for signs when directions change.

so then I would just do change in velocity which is 51-37.6 and divide that by 1.05x10^-3? that give my answer?

sycho2 said:
so then I would just do change in velocity which is 51-37.6 and divide that by 1.05x10^-3? that give my answer?

Suppose the ball were initially moving at 50 m/s to the east, and afterward at 50 m/s to the west. What would be the magnitude of the change in velocity?

it would be 0. Oh yeah i forgot about that...so it would be (51+37.6)/1.05x10^-3

1. What is the definition of average acceleration in physics?

Average acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over a period of time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How is the magnitude of average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

The magnitude of average acceleration is the average rate of change of velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the overall change in velocity, while instantaneous acceleration focuses on the change at a specific point in time.

3. What are the units of measurement for average acceleration?

The units of measurement for average acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the SI system. However, other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or centimeters per second squared (cm/s^2) can also be used.

4. How is average acceleration related to force and mass?

The relationship between average acceleration, force, and mass is given by Newton's second law of motion: F = ma. This means that the average acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

5. Can the magnitude of average acceleration ever be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of average acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or changing direction. It is important to remember that acceleration is a vector quantity and negative values simply indicate a change in direction rather than a decrease in speed.