Physics Major: Good at theory, Terrible in the lab

In summary, the individual is a Physics-Math B.S. major in their junior year of undergrad work. They had an internship last summer but did not receive a response from their supervisor when requesting to return. They are currently taking a modern physics lab class and struggle with logbook keeping, report writing, and measurement taking. However, they excel in theoretical and math classes. They plan on taking the GRE Physics in April and are considering going to grad school for physics, but may have trouble getting good recommendations. They are wondering if they can get into grad school solely based on good grades and a strong GRE score, and what grad school entails compared to undergraduate studies. The importance of the subject GRE score, maintaining a high GPA, and obtaining
JaKeDuP
I am currently a Physics-Math B.S. Major in my junior year of my undergrad work. I had an internship last summer and based off of my supervisor's non-response to my e-mails requesting to return, I didn't do so hot. I am taking a modern physics lab class right now and I understand the theory and background of the experiments but the actually logbook keeping, report writing, and even the measurement taking, I am bad.

However when it comes to the theoretical classes and math classes I feel strong and confident in my work. I am taking the GRE Physics this April and as it currently stands I plan on going to grad school for physics. I probably will have trouble getting good recommendations.

To sum it up: I am pretty good at math and theoretical physics(~3.5 GPA) but I am bad/useless in the lab and don't have a much of any report with my professors.

Can I get into grad school solely off of strong(-ish) grades and a good GRE score? or should I re-evaluate plan?

A more abstract question: What is grad school? How does it compare to undergraduate studies. It seems to me that it is more technical higher level classes while conducting some sort of research.

Sorry if there isn't much information or much of a question here.

Physics news on Phys.org
JaKeDuP said:
Can I get into grad school solely off of strong(-ish) grades and a good GRE score? or should I re-evaluate plan?

Sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know.

1) The subject (Physics) GRE score will be much more important than your general GRE.
2) Definitely keep that GPA up, especially in upper division math/phys classes. A strong upward trend in later semesters will reflect well on you, if you can bring it up from 3.5.
3) Some kind of research/internship experience is crucial to your application. If you just have the one internship and aren't able to get a letter of rec from your supervisor that is a red flag for the adcoms. You might consider getting involved with some groups at your school ASAP.

JaKeDuP said:
I had an internship last summer and based off of my supervisor's non-response to my e-mails requesting to return, I didn't do so hot.

You wouldn't believe how busy/how many emails some of these people get. Try to get in touch again.

JaKeDuP said:
What is grad school? How does it compare to undergraduate studies. It seems to me that it is more technical higher level classes while conducting some sort of research.

The PhD is first and foremost a research degree. It is likely you will take classes your first year and maybe some your second year, but the main thrust is independent, original research. Maybe if you struggle with hardware you should try your hand at computational physics or some old-school theoretical physics?

P.S. Technically you don't want to say you're good at "theoretical physics" when what you mean is you are good at your coursework :) But maybe you will be good at theory research, give it a go!

Thanks for the response. Is the standard GRE also required or is just the subject test sufficient? Or is that dependent upon program?

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'd say the General GRE is required by most programs (the Graduate Schools often require it even if the Physics department doesn't care).

JaKeDuP said:
I am currently a Physics-Math B.S. Major in my junior year of my undergrad work. I had an internship last summer and based off of my supervisor's non-response to my e-mails requesting to return, I didn't do so hot. I am taking a modern physics lab class right now and I understand the theory and background of the experiments but the actually logbook keeping, report writing, and even the measurement taking, I am bad.

However when it comes to the theoretical classes and math classes I feel strong and confident in my work.

To sum it up: I am pretty good at math and theoretical physics(~3.5 GPA) but I am bad/useless in the lab and don't have a much of any report with my professors.

I honestly never believe that people are bad in the lab. Yes, I understand it's probably not your strong point but it's also because I doubt you never practice hands-on type skills when you're outside of school. Logbook and report writing, aka documentation, in an industry type job is a very valuable skill and shouldn't be taken lightly. If you're bad at it then get good now because you'll be doing it one day. Unless, of course, you end up a tenured professor and then your grad students can take care of that. Although, I wouldn't count on it.

1. Why is being good at theory not enough for a physics major?

While having a strong understanding of theoretical concepts is important in physics, it is only one aspect of the discipline. The ability to apply these theories and conduct experiments in a lab setting is equally important for success as a physicist.

2. What are some reasons for struggling in the lab as a physics major?

There can be a variety of reasons for struggling in the lab as a physics major. Some common factors include lack of hands-on experience, difficulty with technical equipment, or a disconnect between theoretical knowledge and practical application.

3. How can a physics major improve their lab skills?

Practice, practice, practice! Like any skill, lab skills can be improved with practice and repetition. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as tutoring or peer mentoring, to gain more confidence and understanding in the lab.

4. Is being good at theory and not as good in the lab a disadvantage in the field of physics?

While it may be seen as a disadvantage, it doesn't necessarily mean that one cannot be successful in the field of physics. There are many different career paths in physics and some may require more lab work than others. Additionally, there are many opportunities for collaboration and teamwork where one's strengths in theory can complement another's strengths in the lab.

5. Are there any strategies for balancing theory and lab work as a physics major?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help balance theory and lab work as a physics major. Some suggestions include setting aside specific study and lab time, seeking help from professors or teaching assistants, and utilizing resources such as textbooks and online tutorials. It may also be helpful to communicate with professors about any challenges in order to receive additional support and guidance.