Physics Major Help: Calculating Coasting Speed of Coupled Railroad and Flatcar

There is also no need to find the kg since the masses only matter in relation to each other.In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the final speed of a diesel engine and a flatear after they collide and couple together. The conservation of momentum is used to solve the problem, and the actual masses of the objects do not matter as long as their ratio is known. Therefore, there is no need to determine the kg of the objects.
almost__overnow
A railroad diesel engine weights 4 times as much as a flatear. If a diesel coasts a 5km/h into a flatear that is initally at rest. How fast do the two coast after they couple together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's conserved in any collision?

Momentum is conserved in any collison.

Right! That's all you need to solve this one.

But don't I have to do some kind of math since it says how fast do the two coast after they couple together? =\

The fact that they couple together tells you that they have the same final speed. Now express the conservation of momentum mathematically and solve for that speed.

okay wait one more question how do you find the kg since i already have the speed? thanks

almost__overnow said:
okay wait one more question how do you find the kg since i already have the speed? thanks
The actual masses do not matter. All that matters is that the masses have a known ratio. If you do the problem using m for the mass of the flatear and 4m for the engine the m will divide out of the problem. There is no way for you to determine the value of m.

What can I do with a degree in Physics?

A degree in Physics can lead to various career paths, such as research and development in industries like aerospace, technology, and energy. You can also pursue a career in academia, teaching at universities or conducting research in laboratories.

What skills do I need to succeed as a Physics major?

To succeed as a Physics major, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a solid foundation in mathematics, and the ability to think critically and creatively. You should also have a strong interest in science and a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and concepts.

Is Physics a difficult major?

Physics can be a challenging major, as it involves complex mathematical and scientific concepts. However, with dedication, hard work, and a passion for the subject, students can succeed in this field.

What courses will I take as a Physics major?

As a Physics major, you will take courses in calculus, mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and other advanced topics. You may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas like astronomy, astrophysics, and particle physics.

How can I get help if I am struggling with my Physics major?

If you are struggling with your Physics major, you can seek help from your professors, teaching assistants, or academic advisors. You can also form study groups with your peers, attend tutoring sessions, and utilize online resources and textbooks. Additionally, many universities offer resources such as academic support centers and workshops for students in STEM fields.