1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Major: Part-time job?

1. Aug 23, 2014 #1
    Hi, I'll be entering my second year as a physics major (full-time), at a competitive top-tire school (University of Toronto), and I am contemplating getting a part-time - 20 hour - job. Has anyone had experience managing full-time studies with a part-time job? If so, what are your opinions?
    A little about me: Hard-working; responsible; conscientious; maintained straight A's in 1st yr. I understand I won't have much, if any, free-time, which won't bother me.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It can be hard balancing a part-time job and full time studies, but in my experience it's well worth it. For one, it helps to keep your debt load down. And any little extra you can do now to minimize that in the long term will help you out greatly.

Secondly, it gives you real world experience that you can draw on if and when you leave academia. It may not necessarily relate to what you want to do career-wise, but it can help you to eliminate certain types of work from your list of possibilities and help you to develop soft skills that you can't learn in school.

Some things to look for with part-time work is a flexible work schedule and a well-understood commitment. It's nice to be able to work fewer hours on those weeks where school work all comes due at once. And it's nice to be able to earn a little extra cash during those slow weeks.

Another thing to look for is a job that you enjoy, if it's possible to find such a thing. Work isn't necessarily down time, but it can give you a much needed break from the skull sweat of academics. Conversely, you could look for a position that allows you to study while you're on the clock. You have to be a little careful with this obviously, but something like a static security position where studying on duty is encouraged can help you to be efficient with your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook