1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics major?

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    Hello, Im quite new to this forum and I first just wanted to say that I love it.
    Now on to my question. This last year I have found myself really interested in physics and have been reading about it like crazy. The problem is last year, as a junior in high school, I had my physics class and learned next to nothing, I never paid any attention and just hated it. The same goes for pre-calc. I wish I had because now I really want to major in physics, but im not sure its possible with such a weak study in math and physics. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2006 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You still have time to get back on track, you are only in high school. work hard at teh science and math and you can do OK.

4. Nov 23, 2006 #3
    work hard when? I am in AP chemistry this year and its so easy, and im making sure I learn everything possible in that class. Sadly I do not have a physics or calc course this year, just a terribly boring stats class =(

5. Nov 23, 2006 #4
    That means it is time to do some private studying. Read up on some basic calculus and physics and obtain some freshman textbooks.

6. Nov 23, 2006 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I remeber correctly, they didn't deny me being a physics major if I didn't get an A in high school physics. Matter a fact, one of my best friends while getting my Bachelors was in the physics department and hadn't taken a high school course in it. Your high school grades will partialy determine whether or not you get into college, but they won't determine your major. I stand by my previous statement, work hard, get into college, and you can earn a physics degree if you want to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?