New Here? Questions About Transferring & Math/Physics Books

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to the community college and is asking about their chances of transferring to a four-year school without getting an associates degree. They also ask for book recommendations on math and physics, particularly quantum physics and astrophysics. One person recommends Griffith's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" and suggests checking online for the book. Another person mentions transferring to a four-year school without getting an associates degree and offers advice on the difficulty of the subjects and the possibility of taking longer to graduate. The conversation ends with a good luck wish.
offtheleft
im new here and had a few questions.

I've been out of school for two years since graduation. I'm going to my local community college to get caught up, etc. I totally messed up in high school so I am more or less working from the ground up. i got all the basic stuff out of the way this summer. i took about 14credits over this summer (still not done obviously).

whats the chance i can transfer to a four-year school without getting my associates degree? i plan on maintaining at least a 3.5 gpa or higher.

i also had a few other questions. does anyone recommend any books on math/physics? I am particularly interested in quantum physics and astrophysics. i was told both are not easy but, I am not expecting easy. i enjoy a good challenge.

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
offtheleft said:
does anyone recommend any books on math/physics? I am particularly interested in quantum physics and astrophysics. i was told both are not easy but, I am not expecting easy. i enjoy a good challenge.

:)

I think Griffith's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" is excellent and might be a good place to start. You might also want to check out Griffiths E and M book. Both of these are very standard around the country and very well-written.

I transferred to a four year university from community college w/out getting my associates.

ehrenfest said:
I think Griffith's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" is excellent and might be a good place to start. You might also want to check out Griffiths E and M book. Both of these are very standard around the country and very well-written.

cool thanks. ill try barnes and noble after class tomorrow.

Fanaticus said:
I transferred to a four year university from community college w/out getting my associates.

what school did you transfer to? i was looking through a bunch of schools requirements and a good number require an associates degree, in which i don't plan on getting.

offtheleft said:
cool thanks. ill try barnes and noble after class tomorrow.

These aren't the kind of books you will find in a typical bookstore off the street. You might want to try their website or Amazon.com since you will probably have to order them.

Barnes and Noble doesn't sell physics textbooks at their stores, although they do have them online. And while Griffiths is the standard for undergraduate quantum mechanics, it's usually taken your junior or senior year - after you've taken two semesters of calculus, two semesters of mathematical physics, linear algebra and differential equations. So while it's a good introduction, don't be discouraged if it doesn't make much sense yet. You'll get there eventually.

If you're going to spend 2 years at community college, you might end up spending three years at a 4-year school - usually only the first two semesters of physics are offered at community college, and you'll spend an extra year not doing physics - you'll have a lot to catch up with in college. Good luck.

1. What is the process for transferring to a new institution?

The process for transferring to a new institution can vary depending on the specific school and program. Generally, it involves completing an application, submitting transcripts, and possibly taking placement exams. It's important to research the specific requirements and deadlines for the institution you are interested in transferring to.

2. Can I transfer credits for math and physics courses?

This also varies by institution, but in most cases, you can transfer credits for math and physics courses as long as they are equivalent to the courses offered at the new institution. It's important to check with an academic advisor to ensure that the credits will transfer and count towards your degree requirements.

3. How do I know which math and physics books to purchase?

The books required for math and physics courses can usually be found on the syllabus or course website. It's important to purchase the correct edition and any accompanying materials specified by the professor. You can also check with the campus bookstore for a list of required books.

4. Are there any resources available to help with math and physics courses?

Many institutions offer resources such as tutoring, study groups, and workshops for students taking math and physics courses. Additionally, there are online resources such as Khan Academy and YouTube channels that provide helpful explanations and practice problems. Don't be afraid to reach out to your professor or academic advisor for additional resources as well.

5. How can I prepare for math and physics courses at a new institution?

To prepare for math and physics courses at a new institution, it's important to review any prerequisite material and brush up on foundational concepts. You can also try to get a hold of the syllabus or textbook beforehand to get an idea of what will be covered in the course. Additionally, practicing with online resources or reviewing class notes from previous courses can help you feel more prepared for the material.