1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics major

1. Jun 15, 2008 #1
    im new here and had a few questions.

I've been out of school for two years since graduation. I'm going to my local community college to get caught up, etc. I totally messed up in highschool so im more or less working from the ground up. i got all the basic stuff out of the way this summer. i took about 14credits over this summer (still not done obviously).

whats the chance i can transfer to a four-year school without getting my associates degree? i plan on maintaining at least a 3.5 gpa or higher.

i also had a few other questions. does anyone recommend any books on math/physics? im particularly interested in quantum physics and astrophysics. i was told both are not easy but, im not expecting easy. i enjoy a good challenge.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2008 #2
    I think Griffith's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" is excellent and might be a good place to start. You might also want to check out Griffiths E and M book. Both of these are very standard around the country and very well-written.
  4. Jun 15, 2008 #3
    I transfered to a four year university from community college w/out getting my associates.
  5. Jun 15, 2008 #4
    cool thanks. ill try barnes and noble after class tomorrow.

what school did you transfer to? i was looking through a bunch of schools requirements and a good number require an associates degree, in which i don't plan on getting.
  6. Jun 15, 2008 #5
    These aren't the kind of books you will find in a typical bookstore off the street. You might want to try their website or Amazon.com since you will probably have to order them.
  7. Jun 15, 2008 #6

Barnes and Noble doesn't sell physics textbooks at their stores, although they do have them online. And while Griffiths is the standard for undergraduate quantum mechanics, it's usually taken your junior or senior year - after you've taken two semesters of calculus, two semesters of mathematical physics, linear algebra and differential equations. So while it's a good introduction, don't be discouraged if it doesn't make much sense yet. You'll get there eventually.

If you're going to spend 2 years at community college, you might end up spending three years at a 4-year school - usually only the first two semesters of physics are offered at community college, and you'll spend an extra year not doing physics - you'll have a lot to catch up with in college. Good luck.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?