1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics majors taking chem?

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    Do physics majors normally take chemistry?

The reason I ask is that I'm currently taking Chem 1 w/ lab and Calculus 1. I chose to take chem because I can't take physics until I have some more calc under my belt and I thought it would be beneficial; however, I'm considering not taking chem 2 next semester so I can really focus on my math. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Intro chemistry is often a required subject for all freshman physics majors.

Zz.

4. Nov 1, 2006 #3
    General Chemistry I and II are required for all Physics majors at my school. Or, they can take a crash course of General Chemistry I and II in the same semester (which I took).

If I were you, I'd take the chemistry II. It's neat stuff.

5. Nov 1, 2006 #4
    I am an engineering major, and I took chem 1 and 2, but all through chem 2 I wished that I had taken that Chem 1 and 2 combo course. Because the chem 1 stuff is so easy, but the chem 2 is a lot harder.

6. Nov 1, 2006 #5
    That's what I thought. OK, I'll take chem 2. I agree, it is interesting though. Thanks for you replies.

7. Nov 1, 2006 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I took a year of general chemistry then took a year of physical chemistry....

8. Nov 2, 2006 #7
    You're required to take a year of chemistry or biology, along with their lab as a physics major at UW.

9. Nov 2, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One of the reasons I did not major in Physics is that I would have had to take Physical Chemistry! (I did take one year of chemistry- that was a general requirement.)

10. Nov 2, 2006 #9
    Physical Chemistry is awesome, but of course I am a chemical engineering major. I guess I can be a little biased on these things.

However, I would definitely suggest that you take both semesters of gen chem. They are incredibly fun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?