Physics majors taking chem?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Apost8
  • Start date
Do physics majors normally take chemistry?

The reason I ask is that I'm currently taking Chem 1 w/ lab and Calculus 1. I chose to take chem because I can't take physics until I have some more calc under my belt and I thought it would be beneficial; however, I'm considering not taking chem 2 next semester so I can really focus on my math. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Intro chemistry is often a required subject for all freshman physics majors.

Zz.

General Chemistry I and II are required for all Physics majors at my school. Or, they can take a crash course of General Chemistry I and II in the same semester (which I took).

If I were you, I'd take the chemistry II. It's neat stuff.

I am an engineering major, and I took chem 1 and 2, but all through chem 2 I wished that I had taken that Chem 1 and 2 combo course. Because the chem 1 stuff is so easy, but the chem 2 is a lot harder.

That's what I thought. OK, I'll take chem 2. I agree, it is interesting though. Thanks for you replies.

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I took a year of general chemistry then took a year of physical chemistry....

You're required to take a year of chemistry or biology, along with their lab as a physics major at UW.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
One of the reasons I did not major in Physics is that I would have had to take Physical Chemistry! (I did take one year of chemistry- that was a general requirement.)

Physical Chemistry is awesome, but of course I am a chemical engineering major. I guess I can be a little biased on these things.

However, I would definitely suggest that you take both semesters of gen chem. They are incredibly fun.