1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Physics masters degree

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    I am a 40-something high school science teacher with a degree in biology. I am very interested in obtaining a masters degree in physics. My undergraduate courses in physics and math are limited. Is it feasible for me to obtain a masters degree in physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure but you'll need a bachelor first.

4. Oct 30, 2016 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Obtain the prospectus for the college you are interested in and read their requirements.
    You may be able to cross-credit from your biology degree but you will need to satisfy the bachelor requirements for physics. There is not usually a lot of overlap between bio and phys,
    The specifics will depend on the school and what you have done so far.

5. Oct 31, 2016 #4
    Ok thanks for the feedback. I will look into what I need to get an undergraduate degree and go from there.

6. Nov 1, 2016 #5
    Classical Mechanics, EM, Quantum Mechanics + Math.

The "need a BS in physics" is nonsense, particularly at lower tier universities if you don't need a TA position.

But a better question is, why bother?

7. Nov 1, 2016 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This comment is unreadable. Just what're you trying to say?

8. Nov 2, 2016 #7
    I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted