1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Materials Question

1. Jan 5, 2007 #1
    What makes some pure metals more ductile than other pure metals?

I know ductility is defined as the ability of a material to be drawn into a wire, and one measurement of it is the percentage elongation from a tensile stress test. But does anyone know what is going on at an atomic level when the metal is being plastically deformed that makes some metals more ductile than others?

Right now I think it might be the density of dislocations or other defects, but surely that can't account for such large variations in behaviours?

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I removed the parentheses, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Aluminium is more...
    and by pure metals I mean not alloys.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This isn't even true! Copper is among the most ductile metals there is (55% strain at yield).

If you erase all the text inside parentheses and leave the question reading "what makes some pure metals more ductile than others?" it would be a lot more sensible.

Dislocation density is definitely important, but I think the question is refering to pure metals in the sense of both lack of impurities as well as lack of defects. What's the primary difference between pure Fe and pure Cu, from a metallurgical point of view?
  4. Jan 13, 2007 #3
    Anyone got any ideas or know any websites that have detailed information about this subject?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?