Physics & math career suggestions

In summary: If you enjoy math and physics then I think it would be a great idea to pursue a career in engineering. Not only are you going to learn how to design and build things, but you'll also be very marketable and have a lot of opportunity to work in a variety of industries. If you're not interested in doing that, then you could research mathematics and physics and develop new technologies in your field.
z-component
Hello everyone,

I've always been a follower of mathematics and physics. They're both very high on my list of possible careers. I've thought about majoring in physics and minoring in mathematics, but I don't think I'd like to pursue a career in research. I then considered engineering, but I am missing one key element: I don't like building/designing stuff, so I can't see myself doing that for a career!

Can anyone give me some suggestions on some careers that involve both physics and math that does not fall into the following categories?

• Engineer
  • Instructor/professor
  • Researcher

I still have more than enough time to think about these things, but right now I'm in between decisions. Any help is appreciated!

z-c

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, let's try this: What DO you like to do?

PL

I like doing physics and math. Simple. That is why I thought about engineering initially.

Are you sure you like Math and Physics?? I can't believe someone whos likes Math and/or Physics a lot doesn't want to do research in any of them, or at least teach them!

I research them for my own development in these fields. What I mean is that I do not want to be a researcher for my career. I would rather do something more involved, if that makes sense.

No, it doesn't.

If you want to put your phys + math skills to use, then it's either in teaching, research, or development (you know, building and designing stuff). I can't see any other use for them.

PL

EDIT: Or, if you like programming, you could become a computer scientist and program physics for like simulations and games. Lots of math and physics involved probably.

Thanks for these suggestions! :)

what about an inventor?

That goes with his dread of designing stuff. =/

PL

"more involved" sounds liek a researcher...you'd have to explain more about why you dont' want to be a researcher but want to be "more involved"

Because researchers have close ties to industry

Maybe you should do Mathematical Physics!

or if you don't mind programming u can do computational physics (this also the program i applied for).

Ever though about being a game designer that inputs all the physics into a computer game? They get paid well and really like their job i bet. If you know some computer programming it might be a a good option.

hey.. do you guys think that this guys opinion is accurate or should I take it with a pinch of salt?

http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/Game%20Design/The_Education_of_a_Game_Designer.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Well like he said you should really do a CS minor like he said but if you want to get into the guts adn glory then you should do a double major in

Phys/Cs - Focus on classical/anal mechanics and fluid mechanics -> Physics
Math/CS - focus on applied mathematics(ODE,PDE) numerical methods-> graphics
Psych/CS- AI/Behavioural

The CS is a must if you want to become a programmer: no sense in doing it on the side...just find a school taht teaches MIN 2 classes in Graphics, class in Computational Geometry, Class in Game Design, Class in Animation(this is usu in grad school...but undergrads are usu allowed to sit in), 2 classes in Numerical Methods/Analysis.
GUI. and Classical Mechanics. Those are usually the standards for building a game engine..again no point to learn this all on your own when its better to get guidance.
(The other stuff: networking, parallel computing, database, architecture, assembly are usually in the programme already, other courses above are not)

HOWEVER if your just looking to design or use someone elses engine...that you can do on the side...but it takes away from teh fun of learning about the interiors

These are all great suggestions. I think I have to take some time and research these. I can always count on PF!

z-c

jai6638 said:
hey.. do you guys think that this guys opinion is accurate or should I take it with a pinch of salt?

http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/Game%20Design/The_Education_of_a_Game_Designer.html

The gaming industry is getting real close to the movie industry now in terms of money made. It's not like 20 years ago when Nintendo was only making one game at a time and it took them like 5 years and nobody cared. Games are HUGE now. And they are getting more and more complicated, meaning more people needed.

PL

Last edited by a moderator:
Of that link, one thing that is especially true of any industry is the supply and demand part. Anyone contemplating a career choice should keep that in mind. Just look at Boeing, where highly skilled aerospace engineers are temps. The link's claim that the computer gaming industry is saturated with bodies should be easy to corroborate. If true, stay away; the low wages and long hours would sap your enthusiasm eventually.

1. What careers can I pursue with a degree in physics or math?

With a degree in physics or math, you can pursue a variety of careers in industries such as engineering, research and development, finance, data analysis, and education. Some specific job titles include physicist, mathematician, data scientist, actuary, and software engineer.

2. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree for a career in physics or math?

While many careers in physics and math do require a graduate degree, there are also opportunities for those with a bachelor's degree. It depends on the specific job and industry you are interested in. For example, research positions typically require a graduate degree, while jobs in data analysis or finance may only require a bachelor's degree.

3. What skills are important for a successful career in physics or math?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for a career in physics or math. Other important skills include critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively. Additionally, having a solid foundation in computer programming and data analysis can be beneficial.

4. Are there any resources for finding job opportunities in physics or math?

There are several resources available for finding job opportunities in physics and math. Some popular options include job search websites like Indeed and LinkedIn, professional organizations such as the American Physical Society and the Mathematical Association of America, and networking through conferences and events in your field of interest.

5. Can I have a successful career in both physics and math?

Yes, it is possible to have a successful career in both physics and math. Many industries value individuals who have a strong background in both subjects, as they can bring a unique perspective and skill set to their work. It is important to explore different career options and find a path that combines your interests and strengths in both fields.