1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Physics & math career suggestions

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone,

I've always been a follower of mathematics and physics. They're both very high on my list of possible careers. I've thought about majoring in physics and minoring in mathematics, but I don't think I'd like to pursue a career in research. I then considered engineering, but I am missing one key element: I don't like building/designing stuff, so I can't see myself doing that for a career!

Can anyone give me some suggestions on some careers that involve both physics and math that does not fall into the following categories?

• Engineer
    • Instructor/professor
    • Researcher

I still have more than enough time to think about these things, but right now I'm in between decisions. Any help is appreciated!

z-c

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2
    Ok, let's try this: What DO you like to do?

PL

4. May 12, 2005 #3
    I like doing physics and math. Simple. That is why I thought about engineering initially.

5. May 12, 2005 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Are you sure you like Math and Physics?? I can't believe someone whos likes Math and/or Physics a lot doesn't want to do research in any of them, or at least teach them!

6. May 12, 2005 #5
    I research them for my own development in these fields. What I mean is that I do not want to be a researcher for my career. I would rather do something more involved, if that makes sense.

7. May 12, 2005 #6
    No, it doesn't.

If you want to put your phys + math skills to use, then it's either in teaching, research, or development (you know, building and designing stuff). I can't see any other use for them.

PL

EDIT: Or, if you like programming, you could become a computer scientist and program physics for like simulations and games. Lots of math and physics involved probably.

8. May 12, 2005 #7
    Thanks for these suggestions! :)

9. May 12, 2005 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

what about an inventor?

10. May 13, 2005 #9
    That goes with his dread of designing stuff. =/

PL

11. May 13, 2005 #10
    "more involved" sounds liek a researcher....you'd have to explain more about why you dont' want to be a researcher but want to be "more involved"

Because researchers have close ties to industry

12. May 13, 2005 #11
    Maybe you should do Mathematical Physics!

or if you don't mind programming u can do computational physics (this also the program i applied for).

13. May 14, 2005 #12
    Ever though about being a game designer that inputs all the physics into a computer game? They get paid well and really like their job i bet. If you know some computer programming it might be a a good option.

14. May 14, 2005 #13
    hey.. do you guys think that this guys opinion is accurate or should I take it with a pinch of salt?

Click here

15. May 14, 2005 #14
    Well like he said you should really do a CS minor like he said but if you want to get into the guts adn glory then you should do a double major in

Phys/Cs - Focus on classical/anal mechanics and fluid mechanics -> Physics
    Math/CS - focus on applied mathematics(ODE,PDE) numerical methods-> graphics
    Psych/CS- AI/Behavioural

The CS is a must if you want to become a programmer: no sense in doing it on the side...just find a school taht teaches MIN 2 classes in Graphics, class in Computational Geometry, Class in Game Design, Class in Animation(this is usu in grad school...but undergrads are usu allowed to sit in), 2 classes in Numerical Methods/Analysis.
    GUI. and Classical Mechanics. Those are usually the standards for building a game engine..again no point to learn this all on your own when its better to get guidance.
    (The other stuff: networking, parallel computing, database, architecture, assembly are usually in the programme already, other courses above are not)

HOWEVER if your just looking to design or use someone elses engine...that you can do on the side...but it takes away from teh fun of learning about the interiors

16. May 14, 2005 #15
    These are all great suggestions. I think I have to take some time and research these. I can always count on PF!

z-c

17. May 14, 2005 #16
    The gaming industry is getting real close to the movie industry now in terms of money made. It's not like 20 years ago when Nintendo was only making one game at a time and it took them like 5 years and nobody cared. Games are HUGE now. And they are getting more and more complicated, meaning more people needed.

PL

18. May 18, 2005 #17
    Of that link, one thing that is especially true of any industry is the supply and demand part. Anyone contemplating a career choice should keep that in mind. Just look at Boeing, where highly skilled aerospace engineers are temps. The link's claim that the computer gaming industry is saturated with bodies should be easy to corroborate. If true, stay away; the low wages and long hours would sap your enthusiasm eventually.

19. May 18, 2005 #18
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?