What are some films about physics and mathematics?

• Thread starter Edgardo
  • Start date
In summary, physics/mathematics films serve to communicate complex scientific concepts in an engaging and understandable way, often using visual aids and storytelling techniques. While the level of accuracy may vary, these films can be used for educational purposes and have the potential to impact society by inspiring future scientists, raising awareness about scientific issues, and challenging societal views. Some famous examples include "The Theory of Everything," "A Beautiful Mind," and "Hidden Figures."
Edgardo
Hi all,

I wonder which films you know that are about physics/mathematics.
I watched for example these ones:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/hawking/
It's a wonderful movie about Hawking.

Another film I like is a 'Beatiful Mind'.

There's another one about Feynman, played by Matthew Broderick.
(title: Infinity)

If you know more, post them.

-Edgardo

Physics news on Phys.org
I know of some, but I haven't watched any, so by no means am I recommending them:

-Pi (1998)
-Cube (1997)
-Cube 2 - Hypercube (2003)

P.S.: I liked Beautiful Mind also.

Some other films about physics and mathematics that I have seen and would recommend are:

1. "Good Will Hunting" - This film follows a young janitor, Will Hunting, who is a genius in mathematics but struggles with personal issues. It explores the relationships between mathematics, mental illness, and personal growth.

2. "A Beautiful Mind" - This film tells the story of John Nash, a mathematician who struggles with schizophrenia and his groundbreaking work in game theory.

3. "The Theory of Everything" - This biographical drama tells the story of Stephen Hawking and his contributions to physics while also depicting his personal struggles with ALS.

4. "The Imitation Game" - This film tells the story of Alan Turing, a mathematician who played a crucial role in cracking Nazi codes during World War II.

5. "Hidden Figures" - This film tells the untold story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who played a vital role in NASA's space program during the Cold War.

6. "Pi" - This psychological thriller follows a mathematician who becomes obsessed with finding patterns and meaning in numbers.

7. "Proof" - This drama explores the relationship between a mathematician and his daughter, who struggles with mental illness.

Overall, these films offer a unique perspective on the world of physics and mathematics and showcase the impact that these fields have on individuals and society as a whole. I hope you enjoy them!

1. What is the purpose of physics/mathematics films?

The purpose of physics/mathematics films is to communicate complex scientific concepts and theories in an engaging and accessible way. These films often use visual aids and storytelling techniques to make these topics more relatable and understandable for a wider audience.

2. How accurate are physics/mathematics films?

The level of accuracy in physics/mathematics films can vary. Some films may take creative liberties or simplify certain concepts for the sake of storytelling. However, many films strive to accurately represent scientific theories and consult with experts in the field to ensure accuracy.

3. Can physics/mathematics films be used for educational purposes?

Yes, physics/mathematics films can be a valuable tool for education. They can help students visualize and understand complex scientific concepts, and also inspire curiosity and interest in these fields.

4. Are there any famous physics/mathematics films?

Yes, there are many famous physics/mathematics films, such as The Theory of Everything, A Beautiful Mind, and Hidden Figures. These films have received critical acclaim and have helped bring attention to important scientific discoveries and figures.

5. How can physics/mathematics films impact society?

Physics/mathematics films have the potential to impact society in a variety of ways. They can inspire future scientists and mathematicians, raise awareness about important scientific issues, and challenge societal views and stereotypes about these fields.