Is Emergence the Key to Understanding the Mind and its Connection to Matter?

In summary: Others think that it's more of a magical event, and that it isn't something that can be explained by physical means.In summary, the conversation is discussing whether or not there is a physical explanation for how the mind comes into existence. Some believe that it is simply the sum of parts becoming greater than the parts, while others believe it is something that is more magical and not explainable by physical means.
jeebs
I wasn't sure if this is the right section to put this, but I didn't notice an obvious alternative.

Anyway, I've been wondering about the mind. We're made out of loads of little bits of ordinary, inanimate matter. Somehow in this universe it is possible to take some particles and carefully arrange them in such a configuration that it generates the mind, this abstract "arena" where thoughts can be expressed, senses experienced, emotions felt and so on. At some point, an automatic chemical reaction beginning with, if I'm not mistaken, simple self-replicating molecules, takes on increasing levels of organisation and becomes complicated enough for the first hints of "consciousness"/"awareness" to emerge. Many further iterations and complications happen and eventually you get a fully fledged, conscious human mind.

My question is, are there any plausible physics-based explanations for how this occurs?
Or are we to accept that something actually exists outside of physical reality?

This seems to me like a really massive (and fascinating) headache that I have never personally heard anyone bring up before, never mind attempt to explain. To me this seems like a question that should really be being asked so often that it is as cliche'd as wondering whether a "deity" is responsible for the universe coming into existence.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's believed that the first biological molecules were borne of chance, basically their lifeless components happened to bump into each other in pools of water.
But to the point, I think at the basic level brain function is quite simple, i.e. this signal goes here that signal goes there. But as a conglomerate of basic functions they allow more advanced thoughts.
Could anyone more learned in biology step in for a second?

Maybe would be more reasonable to ask this in the Biology sub-forum?

One possibility is simply "emergence". Try googling the term. It means the sum is greater than the parts. When you place a sufficient number of sufficiently complex units together, something more than just the sum of those parts "emerges". Some think this is how the mind comes into existence from a sufficiently complex neural assembly.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between physics and the mind?

The relationship between physics and the mind is a complex and ongoing area of study. Physics is the branch of science that deals with the fundamental laws and principles governing the physical world, while the mind is the center of thought, consciousness, and perception in humans. Some scientists believe that the mind emerges from the complex interactions of physical matter in the brain, while others argue that there may be a deeper connection between physics and the mind that we have yet to fully understand.

2. Can physics explain consciousness?

While there is no definitive answer to this question, many scientists believe that physics can provide valuable insights into the nature of consciousness. Some theories suggest that consciousness arises from the complex interactions of neurons and other physical processes in the brain, while others propose that there may be more fundamental physical principles at play in the emergence of consciousness.

3. How does matter influence the mind?

The influence of matter on the mind is a topic of ongoing research and debate. Some studies have shown that our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors can be affected by physical factors such as brain chemistry and hormones. Additionally, advances in neuroscience have shed light on how the structure and function of the brain can impact our cognitive abilities and mental states.

4. How do quantum mechanics and the mind relate?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Some scientists have proposed that quantum principles may play a role in the workings of the mind, as the brain is made up of tiny particles and electrical impulses. However, this is still a highly debated topic and there is currently no conclusive evidence to support a direct connection between quantum mechanics and the mind.

5. Can the mind control matter?

While there have been some studies that suggest a connection between the mind and the physical world, such as the placebo effect, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that the mind can directly control matter. However, some scientists believe that our thoughts and perceptions can influence how we interact with and perceive the world around us, which in turn can have a tangible impact on our physical experiences.