1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics maximum speed help

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    i have one question that i need help on

Tarzan plans to cross a gorge by swinging in an arc from a hanging vine (Fig. 5-41). If his arms are capable of exerting a force of 2000 N on the rope, what is the maximum speed he can tolerate at the lowest point of his swing? His mass is 70 kg and the vine is 4.8 m long.

i diont know how to start and what formulas to use
    can someone please help me

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Welcome to PhysicsForums Jordan. Hope we can help you with some of your physics problems.

Tarzan will swing along a circular path if he hangs onto the vine. His speed will increase towards the bottom and will be a maximum at the lowest point. Motion in a circle requires that a centripetal force be exerted on Tarzan. Now according to Newton's third law if he exerts a 2000 N pulling force on the vine (he needs to pull himself up on the vine) the vine will exert a force of similar magnitude on him. This force is the centripetal force that will help him to swing along a circular path. Do you now how the centripetal force will be related to his speed? Or his centripetal acceleration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?