1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Measurements help

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
    Hi, I just started my school year, and we're currently on Measurements. I need help with this one problem that my teacher assigned.

The biggest bottle ever made was 193 gallons (730,505cc). If the bottle were filled with water of a density of 1000 kg/m^3 at the leisurely rate of 1.8 g/min, how long would the filling process take?

If this is not the format or if anything is incorrect in the way I typed this, sorry (notice post counts).

EDIT: I realize that [kg/(kg/min)=min], but I don't know how to get rid of the m^3 on the density part. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2005 #2
    Every 1000kg you fill you've filled one cubic meter (m^3). Convert the 730 505cc to cubic meters to see how many you need to fill.
  4. Aug 23, 2005 #3
    Okay, based on your advice I got: 405,836.1 minutes. Is it alright if you check this for me?
  5. Aug 24, 2005 #4
    looks good.

Note: A quick trick for this problem is an easy to remember conversion that a cubic centimeter of water has a mass of 1g. Thus filling 1.8 g/min = 1.8 cc/min thus:

[tex] \frac{730,505 cc}{\frac{1.8 cc}{min}}} = 405,836.1 min[/tex]

They gave you that same conversion factor in the question, but in the somewhat less useful form (for this question) of 1m^3 of water = 1000kg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?