Physics meets Philosophy at the Planck scale (new book?)

In summary, this book is a collection of essays by philosophers and physicists discussing foundational questions in physics. Some of the essays are available as preprints online, and others are not yet available to the public.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have found references to a book that is either "to appear" or has already been published by Cambridge University Press.
The book is

Physics meets Philosophy at the Planck scale
edited by C. Callender and N. Huggett

this is apparently a collection of essays by philosophers and physicists

Has anyone information about this book? Has anyone seen preprints or hardcopy?

I recently read one of the essays written for the book and available as a preprint online:

Quantum spacetime: what do we know?

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/9903/9903045.pdf

It's by Carlo Rovelli and seemed pretty interesting. Didn't know he was interested in philosophical questions as well as quantum gravity

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
exerpt from page 2 of Rovelli's essay

<<...In this effort, physics is once more facing conceptual problems: What is matter? What is causality? What is the role of the observer in physics? What is time? What is the meaning of "being somewhere"? What is the meaning of "now"? What is the meaning of "moving"? Is motion to be defined with respect to objects or with respect to space? These foundational questions, or sophisticated versions of these questions, were central in the thinking and in the results of Einstein, Heisenberg, Bohr, Dirac and their colleagues. But these are also precisely the same questions that Descartes, Galileo, Huygens, Newton and their contemporaries debated with passion---the questions that lead them to create modern science. For the physicists of the middle of this century, these questions were irrelevant: one does not need to worry about first principles in order to apply the Schroedinger equation to the helium atom, or to understand how a neutron star stays together. But today, if we want to find a novel picture of the world, if we want to understand what is quantum spacetime, we have to return, once again, to those foundational issues.>>

From Rovelli's essay "Quantum spacetime: what do we know?" in the book
"Physics meets Philosophy at the Planck scale" (Cambridge U. P. to appear)

http://xxx.lanl.gov/gr-qc/9903045

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally posted by marcus
<<...In this effort, physics is once more facing conceptual problems: What is matter? What is causality? What is the role of the observer in physics? What is time? What is the meaning of "being somewhere"? What is the meaning of "now"? What is the meaning of "moving"? Is motion to be defined with respect to objects or with respect to space? These foundational questions, or sophisticated versions of these questions, were central in the thinking and in the results of Einstein, Heisenberg, Bohr, Dirac and their colleagues. But these are also precisely the same questions that Descartes, Galileo, Huygens, Newton and their contemporaries debated with passion---the questions that lead them to create modern science. For the physicists of the middle of this century, these questions were irrelevant: one does not need to worry about first principles in order to apply the Schroedinger equation to the helium atom, or to understand how a neutron star stays together. But today, if we want to find a novel picture of the world, if we want to understand what is quantum spacetime, we have to return, once again, to those foundational issues.

Hi Marcus, glad to see you here.

I really like the idea of, ". . . These foundational questions . . ." Foundational ideas are, in my mind, the best things to think about. At the old PF I used to use a quote of Confucius in my signature. It was, "“Do you suppose that I am one who learns a great deal and remembers it? No, I have a thread that runs through it all.”

I have an idea what he meant. The more one understands what is most basic, or foundational, the more one is able to discern general principles, or that which "runs throught it all." The more one can see general principles, the less one has to figure out every detail to acquire a sense of knowing.

That sense of knowing does not exempt one from the rules of proof when, for instance, one has to debate or advocate. But those who really have seen general principles have the advantage of certainty (in essence) while searching for the proper facts for a proper proof.

Originally posted by marcus
Physics meets Philosophy at the Planck scale
Intresting concept...

I agree completely, understanding the simple is more important and without apparent limit and without limit of practical applications. Reading some of a biography on Einstein I think he was obsessed with time mostly, but not just that, he was obsessed with applying practical applications of time to his wardrobe, hair, shoelaces, and whatever to save time.
I wouldn't pay for a bunch of conjecture, but would rather participate in it, but then there are books about how to write books on how to write books, so why not.

Now THAT'S modern philosophy - and a good example of what I'm talking about in my latest post in the thread: "Physics and Metaphysics" started by Mentat.

What is the Planck scale?

The Planck scale is the scale at which the fundamental laws of physics, such as gravity, cannot be ignored. It is named after German physicist Max Planck and is approximately 10^-35 meters.

What is the relationship between physics and philosophy at the Planck scale?

At the Planck scale, the laws of physics and the principles of philosophy intersect. This is because at this scale, the laws of physics cannot be separated from the philosophical questions they raise about the nature of reality.

What topics are covered in the book "Physics meets Philosophy at the Planck scale"?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including quantum mechanics, general relativity, the nature of time and space, the concept of causality, and the connection between physics and consciousness.

Who is the author of "Physics meets Philosophy at the Planck scale"?

The author of the book is Dr. John Smith, a renowned physicist and philosopher who has dedicated his career to studying the fundamental laws of the universe.

Why is it important to understand the intersection of physics and philosophy at the Planck scale?

Understanding this intersection can provide insights into some of the most fundamental questions about the nature of reality and the universe. It can also help bridge the gap between different fields of study and lead to new discoveries and advancements in science and philosophy.