Physics Midterm Help Part 2

In summary, a point charge 'q' hangs motionless from a massless string at an angle due to the forces of gravity and electrical attraction with a nearby infinite conducting plane of charge. Using the equations from mechanics, the force components in the x and y directions are broken up. To solve for the charge 'q', ∑ Fy is set equal to T cos 25º - mg = 0 and T is solved for by plugging in the given values. The electrical force is then found using T sin 25º, and the charge can be solved for using F = qE, where E = σ/2ε0. The net electric field is at the center of the conducting plane of charge.
Nimmy

Homework Statement

A point charge 'q' hangs motionless from a mass less string at an angle, due to the forces of gravity and electrical attraction with a nearby infinite conducting plane of charge.

Conducting wire sigma = -3.0 E -8 String is next to the conducting wire with a angle
| |
| |
| |
| |

a. If the mass of 'q' is 4.00 E -6 kg, and it hangs at angle of 25.0 degrees with the vertical, find the charge 'q'.

Homework Equations

Using the equations, that I learned from mechanics. I broke up the force components in x and y direction.

∑ Fx = Fe - T sin 25º = 0
∑ Fy = T cos 25º - mg = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

T = mg/cos 25º
T = (4.00 E-6 kg) (9.80 m/s^2)/cos (25º) = 3.55 x 10^-5 N (I wrote N on my test and he crossed that out)

Electrical Force = T sin 25º = (3.55 x 10^-5N) sin 25º = 1.50 x 10^-5 N

Now I am lost on how to solve for q. Can you pinpoint where I am making errors and also direct me on how to solve for q? Because on my test I got half of the points.

How would you sketch an electric field diagram of 'q' and 'sigma' ? Also, where would the net electric field be exactly zero?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok for part a...is the process right

so since I already found what Electrical force is. I can just use F = qE ...which means q= F/E ...So I plug in F which I found already and E = Sigma/2 Eplison knott. Since we got the sigma value. But when I solved it I got q = -8.85 x 10^-9 C. Is that right?

Nimmy said:

Homework Statement

A point charge 'q' hangs motionless from a mass less string at an angle, due to the forces of gravity and electrical attraction with a nearby infinite conducting plane of charge.

Conducting wire sigma = -3.0 E -8 String is next to the conducting wire with a angle
| |
| |
| |
| |

a. If the mass of 'q' is 4.00 E -6 kg, and it hangs at angle of 25.0 degrees with the vertical, find the charge 'q'.

Homework Equations

Using the equations, that I learned from mechanics. I broke up the force components in x and y direction.

∑ Fx = Fe - T sin 25º = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

T = mg/cos 25º
T = (4.00 E-6 kg) (9.80 m/s^2)/cos (25º) = 3.55 x 10^-5 N (I wrote N on my test and he crossed that out)

Electrical Force = T sin 25º = (3.55 x 10^-5N) sin 25º = 1.50 x 10^-5 N

Now I am lost on how to solve for q. Can you pinpoint where I am making errors and also direct me on how to solve for q? Because on my test I got half of the points.

How would you sketch an electric field diagram of 'q' and 'sigma' ? Also, where would the net electric field be exactly zero?

Draw a diagram and I would think you would discover that the ratio of the Forces - Gravity down to Electrostatic to the E-Field will be given by

Felectro / Fgravity = Tan25

Nimmy said:
Ok for part a...is the process right

so since I already found what Electrical force is. I can just use F = qE ...which means q= F/E ...So I plug in F which I found already and E = Sigma/2 Eplison knott. Since we got the sigma value. But when I solved it I got q = -8.85 x 10^-9 C. Is that right?

F = qE

should deliver the right answer if you have the proper F.

LowlyPion said:
F = qE

should deliver the right answer if you have the proper F.

So the E is E = sigma/2 Epslion knott?

Nimmy said:
So the E is E = sigma/2 Epslion knott?
Conducting plane or conducting wire?

I don't understand this statement:

If it is a conducting plane your formula would be correct.

LowlyPion said:
I don't understand this statement:If it is a conducting plane your formula would be correct.

Yup a conducting plane of charge. I was trying to explain the diagram. Thanks though! :)

I have one question is the net electric field zero at the center of the conducting plane?

Nimmy said:
Yup a conducting plane of charge.

OK. That should be good to go then.

And the conducting wire is from what? Did you mean to write plane? Because if you have a wire you need to know r from the wire, which I don't see in the problem as given.

LowlyPion said:
OK. That should be good to go then.

And the conducting wire is from what? Did you mean to write plane? Because if you have a wire you need to know r from the wire, which I don't see in the problem as given.

Yes there is no conducting wire...it's a conducting plane of charge. Plus there was no radius given. But can you answer where the net electric field is zero in this problem? B/C I though it was at the center. But I got ding -10 points on the exam.

Nimmy said:
Yes there is no conducting wire...it's a conducting plane of charge. Plus there was no radius given. But can you answer where the net electric field is zero in this problem? B/C I though it was at the center. But I got ding -10 points on the exam.

The E field is 0 inside the conductor.

As to the E-field, I think I misspoke. I think it should be σ / εo
see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gausur.html#c3

LowlyPion said:
The E field is 0 inside the conductor.

As to the E-field, I think I misspoke. I think it should be σ / εo
see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gausur.html#c3

so it just should be 1/2 of the value that I got before right? Oh is the E field zero inside the conductor because the E field go in and out of the conductor cancel out at the center?

Nimmy said:
so it just should be 1/2 of the value that I got before right? Oh is the E field zero inside the conductor because the E field go in and out of the conductor cancel out at the center?

Wouldn't it be twice?

Didn't you say σ /2 εo ?

That would be for a capacitor I think.

In a conductor the charge is at the surface. Inside the conductor any Gaussian surface you draw that does not contain the surface must result in a 0 field, because there would be no charge within the closed surface.

LowlyPion said:
Wouldn't it be twice?

Didn't you say σ /2 εo ?

That would be for a capacitor I think.

In a conductor the charge is at the surface. Inside the conductor any Gaussian surface you draw that does not contain the surface must result in a 0 field, because there would be no charge within the closed surface.

Well, because I got 1.50 E -5 N for the Electrical Force. sigma = -3.0 E -8 C/m^2)
Now if it was 2 εo

q= F/E = (1.50 E -5 N)/(-3.0 E -8 C/m^2 /2(8.85 E -11 N/m) = -8.85 E -9 C

Now if The E Field = σ / εo

So ...q =F/E = (1.50 E -5 N)/ (-3.0 E -8 C/m^2 /(8.85 E -11 N/m) = -4.43 E -9 C

Thats why I said half the value.

1. What topics should I focus on for the Physics Midterm?

For the Physics Midterm, you should focus on topics such as kinematics, forces, energy, momentum, and electricity. Reviewing these fundamental concepts thoroughly will help you prepare for the exam.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the Physics Midterm?

To improve your problem-solving skills for the Physics Midterm, practice solving different types of problems and work on understanding the underlying concepts. Additionally, reviewing past exams and seeking help from your teacher or peers can also be beneficial.

3. Are there any specific formulas or equations I should memorize for the Physics Midterm?

While it is important to have a general understanding of the formulas and equations used in physics, it is not necessary to memorize all of them for the midterm. Instead, focus on understanding the concepts and how to apply them to different types of problems.

4. What strategies can I use to study effectively for the Physics Midterm?

To study effectively for the Physics Midterm, make sure to review your notes regularly and actively participate in class. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards, and to practice solving problems on your own or with a study group.

5. Are there any online resources that can help me prepare for the Physics Midterm?

Yes, there are many online resources that can help you prepare for the Physics Midterm. Some examples include online practice problems, video tutorials, and interactive simulations. Your teacher may also have specific recommendations for online resources to use.