1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics modelling problem.

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    so im tearing my hair out with this one...

the density of the earth's atmostsphere vaires with height r above the earth's surface as

p = p(o) exp(-r/r(o))

where p(o) the density of the air at ground level, is 1.3 kg/m^3 and r(o) the scale height is 8km
    use this to estimate an approximate value for the total mass of the atmostsphere, given most of the mass lies within a ddistance above the ground that is much smaller than the radius of the earth

R(earth) = 6.4x10^6

So my attemot at a solution
    1) ive got that p = mass/volume so intergrating the expresion with respect to volume gives the total mass of the earth r = v^(1/3).
    then R(earth) >> r
    but then i get stuck.

2) ive tried to divide the equation through by V but still that leaves me with
    r(earth) >> r.

the problem is deailing with the much greater than part of r(earth) >> r, i dont know how to approach it.

thanks guys :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2
    No one even got a clue on how to solve this?

4. Sep 3, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the mass of the air that lies between a height r and a height r+dr?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook