1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics momentum car question

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A collision in Phystown is being analyzed by the O.P.P. accident analysis team. A 1000 kg Toyota known to be moving at 65 km/h [W] collided at an intersection with a 3000 kg SUV moving [N]. After the collision, the two vehicles "stuck" together and the police estimate that immediately after impact the Toyota-SUV wreckage moved at 45 km/h. Based on this information, what was the speed of the SUV before the collision?

2. Relevant equations
    mv1 + mv2 = v (m1 +m2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just plugged in values into the equation that i was given from the question...
    (1000)(-18.1) + 3000v2 = 12.5 (4000) -> i made E and N positive

I was just wondering if i did this right! should i do components since i have directions in y and x directions? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You certainly should consider the components. You cannot add momenta that are in different directions.
    Apply conservation of momentum in each of the two directions separately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted