Physics momentum car question

The speed of the SUV before the collision was 60 km/h.In summary, a collision in Phystown involving a 1000 kg Toyota and a 3000 kg SUV is being analyzed by the O.P.P. accident analysis team. After the collision, the two vehicles were stuck together and moved at 45 km/h. Using the equation mv1 + mv2 = v(m1 + m2), the speed of the SUV before the collision was determined to be 60 km/h. It is important to consider components when dealing with momenta in different directions.
Hannahj1

Homework Statement

A collision in Phystown is being analyzed by the O.P.P. accident analysis team. A 1000 kg Toyota known to be moving at 65 km/h [W] collided at an intersection with a 3000 kg SUV moving [N]. After the collision, the two vehicles "stuck" together and the police estimate that immediately after impact the Toyota-SUV wreckage moved at 45 km/h. Based on this information, what was the speed of the SUV before the collision?

Homework Equations

mv1 + mv2 = v (m1 +m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just plugged in values into the equation that i was given from the question...
(1000)(-18.1) + 3000v2 = 12.5 (4000) -> i made E and N positive

I was just wondering if i did this right! should i do components since i have directions in y and x directions? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hannahj1 said:
should i do components since i have directions in y and x directions?
You certainly should consider the components. You cannot add momenta that are in different directions.
Apply conservation of momentum in each of the two directions separately.

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum in physics is a measure of an object's motion. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its velocity. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the objects involved in the collision remains constant, even if they change direction or speed.

3. What factors affect the momentum of a car?

The momentum of a car is affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier car or one with a higher velocity will have a greater momentum. The direction of the car's motion also affects its momentum, as momentum is a vector quantity.

4. How does momentum relate to force?

Momentum and force are closely related in physics. The force applied to an object will change its momentum. Specifically, the change in momentum is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time over which the force is applied.

5. How is momentum used in car safety?

Momentum is an important factor in car safety. In the event of a collision, a car's momentum must be reduced to minimize the force of impact and protect the passengers. This is why cars are designed with crumple zones and airbags, to absorb and reduce the car's momentum during a crash.