1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics MS and Astro MS?

1. Jun 19, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently in a MS program in Physics and I do astronomy research.
    I've always wanted to get a phd, but with the outlooks of actually getting an astronomy job... I've started to consider teaching.

I'd like to teach both physics and astronomy (preferably astronomy). I understand that with a Masters degree in Physics I can teach astronomy. I have taken a few astro courses and feel like my knowledge is more than competent to teach the typical courses in a community college, but i want to know so much more!

So: my question is. It is crazy/possible to get a masters degree in astronomy (after my phys degree) in order to learn more. A lot of people think the two degrees are too similar, and i probably wouldn't get into a masters in astro for this reason. :/

Would love any advice out there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2014 #2
    I would advise to push through for the PhD if you want to teach. Teaching spots are very competitive even at the community college level. Permanent positions are rare. I speak as somebody with a masters only who has applied for numerous temporary teaching positions. At the community colleges I tutored at in the past they would get a great many applications for their open math and science teaching positions. Also, those with teaching experience at high school or middle school might have an upper hand. So consider teaching public schools after getting your masters as a way to bolster your resume for a future community college job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook