Physics Newb Needs Help With Mass

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mass of the moon using its density and diameter. The participants discuss the necessary conversions and equations needed to solve the problem. They emphasize the importance of using consistent units and provide helpful tips for finding the mass.
R.J.
First of all ... GREAT SITE!
:smile:

I really stink horribly at physics and I am stuck on the following problem:
How do you find the mass of the moon from the following information:
Density: 3.36g/cm2
Diameter: 2160 Miles

I am figuring that the diameter should be 1/2 to 1080 to obtain the radius.
Then I tried using the formula
4/3 x 3.14 x r^3
To obtain volume. But it is there that I am stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
RJ

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, isn't the density supposed to be in cubic centimeters? Also, make sure you convert everything to meters, otherwise your equations might not work.

Yes, I typed incorrectly. It should have been cm3.

Any help on a formula?

What're you stuck with? You just plug in 1080 miles into the formula for r.

I would suggest first converting miles to meters or to cm, so that you have common units.

--J

Look at the units of density 3.36g/cm^3. What are grams the units of? What are centimetres the units of?? Now density is given by the ratio of these two quantities right??
Since you know the density, and the volume, you can now find the mass

OH and convert your miles and centimetres to metres and grams to kilograms

1. What is mass in physics?

In physics, mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains. It is a fundamental property of matter and is often denoted by the symbol "m". Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) in the SI (International System of Units) system.

2. How is mass different from weight?

While mass and weight are often used interchangeably in everyday language, they are actually two different concepts in physics. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of the object's location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

3. How is mass measured in physics experiments?

Mass is typically measured using a balance or scale. In some experiments, mass can also be calculated by measuring an object's acceleration due to a known force, such as with Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma).

4. Can mass change over time?

In most cases, an object's mass remains constant. However, in special cases such as nuclear reactions or particle interactions, mass can be converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². In these cases, the total mass and energy of the system remain constant.

5. What is the role of mass in Newton's Laws of Motion?

Mass plays a crucial role in Newton's Laws of Motion, particularly in the Second Law (F=ma). This law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and the resulting acceleration. In other words, the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to produce the same acceleration.