Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics of a bow?

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know where I can find information related to the physics of straightening a bow from its curved state to a more "straight" condition?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean - do you mean the actual fuctioning of a bow or redesigning it to a different shape?
  4. Sep 14, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

5. Sep 14, 2007 #4
    I mean, in terms of applying a force to one end to straighten the bow out.

Thanks for the article also...I just wish I had a credit card :(
  6. Sep 14, 2007 #5

Bows are normally made with a curvature in mind.

Straightening depends on the material, e.g. wood, plastic, horn, . . .

One would have to heat the bow to soften the material or make it more maleable, and then deform it to a straighter profile, and then cool it. The success will vary according to the material, or it may not work at all.

See also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurve_bow
  7. Sep 14, 2007 #6
    Iknow bows are made in that respect, but this is related to a project I'm doing with a bow appearing to be a suitable model of reference.
  8. Sep 14, 2007 #7

What does one mean by "a bow appearing to be a suitable model of reference."?

Simply reducing the tension on the bow string will make bows straighter.
  9. Sep 15, 2007 #8
    Oh, I was thinking of a model where pulling down on one end of the structure leads to a straightening out effect.
  10. Sep 17, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

J E Gordon's excellent book "The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor" or the follow up " Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down" has a section on the physics and engineering of bows.

They are also the best popular books on materials and structure engineering I know of and really deserve to be more widely knonw.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?