1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics of a bow?

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know where I can find information related to the physics of straightening a bow from its curved state to a more "straight" condition?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean - do you mean the actual fuctioning of a bow or redesigning it to a different shape?

4. Sep 14, 2007 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

5. Sep 14, 2007 #4
    I mean, in terms of applying a force to one end to straighten the bow out.

Thanks for the article also...I just wish I had a credit card :(

6. Sep 14, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Bows are normally made with a curvature in mind.

Straightening depends on the material, e.g. wood, plastic, horn, . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_bow

One would have to heat the bow to soften the material or make it more maleable, and then deform it to a straighter profile, and then cool it. The success will vary according to the material, or it may not work at all.

See also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurve_bow

7. Sep 14, 2007 #6
    Iknow bows are made in that respect, but this is related to a project I'm doing with a bow appearing to be a suitable model of reference.

8. Sep 14, 2007 #7

Astronuc

What does one mean by "a bow appearing to be a suitable model of reference."?

Simply reducing the tension on the bow string will make bows straighter.

9. Sep 15, 2007 #8
    Oh, I was thinking of a model where pulling down on one end of the structure leads to a straightening out effect.

10. Sep 17, 2007 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

J E Gordon's excellent book "The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor" or the follow up " Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down" has a section on the physics and engineering of bows.

They are also the best popular books on materials and structure engineering I know of and really deserve to be more widely knonw.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?