What is the Physics Behind a Jumping Spider's Impressive Leap?

• Thread starter Manoj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    physics
In summary, the video discusses how high blood pressure can affect the ability of spiders to jump and how the mechanism behind their jumps may be similar to how long tubular balloons maintain their stiffness.
Manoj
I recently viewed this video:

shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhpL5h8sEHo (without the s at the beginning)
i really don't understand how the high blood pressure acts on the legs. The physics i understand is that - A body to do some action needs to put opposite force on the stationary body for relativistic action, yearning a reaction force on the body itself thus providing motion. But you can see that the spiders legs are frail, weak, then a sudden high release of blood would destroy the legs. And even for that high blood preassure, the legs must have enough strength to bear the high pressure, which it doesn't look like it can.

I know impulse provides large forces in short time to provide more energy, but does it concern an area of action? I suppose the impulse acts on a point of their legs to generate more pressure to lift, but it doesn't even look like its been concentrated at a point while it propels. It seems like the power to jump is coming from somewhere else.
Can someone please explain me the science behind its jumping? It would be really grateful for the community and me, as this jumping nature keeps bugging me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing the video .

Manoj said:
the high pressure
I don't know how they mechanism in the joints actually works for their legs to extend, but high pressure certainly doesn't mean like 100 psi.
If you take one of those long tubular balloons and blow in it, you can see the rigidity with comes about from the slight pressure difference from atmospheric.
Something similar to that I am assuming from watching the video.
I don't have a spider here to dissect to see if there is such a structure in the legs that would do what they say could be the reason for the capability of the jump.

1. What makes a jumping spider able to jump such great distances?

Jumping spiders have specialized muscles and tendons in their legs that allow for rapid and powerful movements. They also have an internal hydraulic system that helps to extend and contract their legs quickly, giving them the ability to jump up to 50 times their body length.

2. How do jumping spiders determine the distance and direction of their jumps?

Jumping spiders have excellent eyesight and use a unique form of vision called "image defocus" to estimate the distance and direction of their jumps. This involves keeping track of the blur of an object as they move towards it, allowing them to make precise jumps.

3. What is the role of silk in a jumping spider's jumping ability?

Silk plays a crucial role in a jumping spider's jumping ability. They use silk to anchor themselves and create tension, which helps to increase the power of their jump. Silk also acts as a safety line, allowing them to quickly return to their starting point if their jump is unsuccessful.

4. Can jumping spiders control the trajectory of their jumps?

Yes, jumping spiders have the ability to control the trajectory of their jumps. They can adjust the angle and distance of their jumps by changing the amount of tension in their silk and the timing of their leg movements.

5. How do jumping spiders land safely after a jump?

Jumping spiders have specialized sensory hairs on their legs that allow them to detect when they are close to the ground. This helps them to prepare for landing by extending their legs and absorbing the impact. They also have thick, rubbery pads on their feet that help to cushion their landings.