What is the final velocity of a falling body?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of falling bodies using gravitational acceleration constant, and the attempts to calculate the kinetic and potential energy involved. The variables of resistance, mass, and distance are unknown and discussed as potentially affecting the calculations. The possibility of using the reduced acceleration to account for resistance is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with questioning the applicability of the calculations to the specific case being discussed and considering the possibility of free falling motion.
Randomer Guy

Homework Statement

It is possible to calculate the velocity of falling bodies (ignoring air resistance of course) using a gravitational acceleration constant.

Assume:

You don't know what the resistance is.
The object started at rest.
You DO know there is downwards motion.
You don't know what the mass is.

I am trying to get at an ending velocity for about 3-10 meters of accleration if that helps. Using that ending velocity, I can then easily calculate kinetic energy.

If there is some other resistance, other than air, is it reasonable to simply reduce the acceleration by some amount to account for that resistance, if one is trying to get at a reasonable range for kinetic energy (in terms of the objects mass)?

Homework Equations

body at rest accleration and ending velocity:
v^2=2ad
ke=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This really simply requires a "reality" check to see if I am conceptually on track.

I may have some follow questions depending on how things work out, if y'all don't mind. I am trying to make sure that my concepts of physics are straight, so I can explain some of these concepts to a couple of people who know much less than I do.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, mass don't matter... Potential energy? What is the formula?

mathPimpDaddy said:
yeah, mass don't matter... Potential energy? What is the formula?

PE = mgy
where m is the mass of an object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and y is the distance the object is above some reference level.

I am really trying to find energy in terms of the mass involved, because I can't even reasonably get to the mass, but the mass relative to the force required to stop the motion is important.

Again, I am not even that far along in my work/explanation.

They seem to be hung up on the fact that I simply reduced the acceleration over the distance to account for resistance.

Given that a few of the variables are unknown and can't be known with certainty, is that bit reasonable, or am I missing a piece of the puzzle here?

Randomer Guy said:
PE = mgy
where m is the mass of an object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and y is the distance the object is above some reference level.

I am really trying to find energy in terms of the mass involved, because I can't even reasonably get to the mass, but the mass relative to the force required to stop the motion is important.

Again, I am not even that far along in my work/explanation.

They seem to be hung up on the fact that I simply reduced the acceleration over the distance to account for resistance.

Given that a few of the variables are unknown and can't be known with certainty, is that bit reasonable, or am I missing a piece of the puzzle here?

What is y and what does Potential energy equal to when the object is at a certain distance in motion? You know that you are going to end up with a one dimensional distance-acceleration forumula right? Rotate the picture from it being vertical to horizontal motion and think there was an initial force that caused an acceleration.

Last edited:
mathPimpDaddy said:
What is y and what does Potential energy equal to when the object is at a certain distance in motion?

that goes back to the kinetic energy equation.

Would the ultimate height be irrelevant, if all one is doing is calculating the energy after 10 meters?

I am thinking of an object at great height, but only considering the first 3 to 11 meters of its fall.

I want to eventually get at a reasonable estimation of the force required to arrest the falling object (i.e. bring it to a complete stop) by catching it after it has been moving for a known distance but unknown acceleration.

mathPimpDaddy said:
What is y and what does Potential energy equal to when the object is at a certain distance in motion?

PE = mgy
where m is the mass of an object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and y is the distance the object is above some reference level

But, I assume you are asking for a reason (thanks for helping, by the way), so let's go with this.

PE=m(9.8 meters/sec/sec)(3 meters)

or

PE=m(29.4 (meters)(meters)/sec/sec))

assuming that the distance was 11 meters

PE=m(107.8 (meters)(meters)/sec/sec))

Don't look at it as height, look at it as length, like when the object travels like in horizontal motion with force applied

and at that same distance there is kinetic energy right? I wonder what happens to the mass:rolleyes:

Randomer Guy said:
PE = mgy
where m is the mass of an object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and y is the distance the object is above some reference level

But, I assume you are asking for a reason (thanks for helping, by the way), so let's go with this.

PE=m(9.8 meters/sec/sec)(3 meters)

or

PE=m(29.4 (meters)(meters)/sec/sec))

assuming that the distance was 11 meters

PE=m(107.8 (meters)(meters)/sec/sec))
This is exactly the same as the calculations for an object in free fall by the way. :wink:

I have done the calculations, but the people I am talking to don't really believe they apply in the case in discussion.

They seem to think I am missing something and that the calculations are meaningless.

who are you talking to? I think you have the right Idea, I also believe that its a free falling motion, hence the "g"

mathPimpDaddy said:
who are you talking to? I think you have the right Idea, I also believe that its a free falling motion, hence the "g"

I would rather not get into exactly what is being discussed and to whom. It is the kind of thing that can get touchy with people.

Let's just say that I am talking to people with very little knowledge of physics and critical thinking.

1. What is the Physics of falling bodies?

The Physics of falling bodies refers to the scientific study of how objects fall and accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity. It involves principles from the branch of physics known as mechanics.

2. How does gravity affect falling bodies?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other. The Earth's gravitational pull causes all objects to accelerate towards its surface at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This acceleration is what causes falling bodies to increase in speed as they fall.

3. What factors affect the speed of a falling body?

The speed of a falling body is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the force of gravity, and air resistance. Objects with a larger mass will fall faster due to the force of gravity, while air resistance can slow down the speed of a falling object.

4. How does the height of a fall affect the speed of a falling body?

The height of a fall does not affect the speed of a falling body. As long as there are no external forces acting on the object, it will continue to accelerate at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared regardless of the height from which it was dropped.

5. What is terminal velocity and how does it relate to falling bodies?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that a falling body can reach when the force of gravity is balanced by the force of air resistance. Once a falling object reaches terminal velocity, it will no longer accelerate and will fall at a constant speed. This is why skydivers eventually reach a steady speed during their free fall.