Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics of human voice

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone. I have a basic question about the biomechanics of speech. If this is already answered please direct me to the solution.

I'm trying to determine the main factors which determine the volume of a voice.

What I think I know: when a human produces sound, air is forced out of lungs and hits various parts of the vocal passage causing them to vibrate and produce sound. Intuitively, I originally thought to increase volume, I simply needed to increase energy, and thus increase the speed the air by exhaling faster.

While this does work. I know there are ways to increase volume without increasing the speed of exhale. I'd like to know how these mechanisms would work. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Well, I don't know myself, but the wikipedia article seems to have a lot of info. This is focused on developing the singing voice, but I would think at least some of it applies to normal speech as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_pedagogy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook