Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics of Immortality, Tipler

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    If any of you have ever read this book, http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Immortality-Modern-Cosmology-Resurrection/dp/0385467990 I'm reading through it and it's very interesting but I've never taken a physics class.

I have a few questions for you physics experts - a brief answer will due but feel free to elaborate:

- Is there a clearly agreed upon way physicists now believe the universe will end? Heat death, eternal recurrence or is it infinite? If not, what's the general position.

- What are the implications if the new accelerator in Switzerland find the Higgs partricle? Does it play into answering the above question?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2
    To my knowledge there is no "General" opinion as to how the universe will end, but take that up with a cosmologist. As for the Higgs, I do not believe it's discovery would effect the possible future of the universe, just make the standard model a little more complete.

V

4. Sep 8, 2008 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The 'infinite' universe camp is the minority opinion at present. The other two options [heat death or cyclical universe] are too close to call.

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4
    Why is the infinite universe discredited?

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5
    If you watched Lexx you would know that the discovery of the Higgs by a class 13 planet like ours is inevitable and will reduce the earth to the size of a pea. Won't matter to the universe but I won't like it much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?