1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Physics of music

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do fundamentals, harmonics, consonance, dissonance, and musical intervals relate to violin?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I researched and read everything related to this topic.. but I don't understand anything..

2. jcsd
  3. cepheid

cepheid 5,194
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF ashyein!

I'm no expert, but the first place where I would start is to look at the derivation for (and properties of) the wave equation, especially in the context of transverse waves travelling on a string. Then, you can go from that to understanding standing waves on a string of length L with fixed ends, and in particular, why only certain frequencies (that depend on L) are allowed on them. The lowest frequency is called the fundamental frequency, and the higher ones (harmonics) are all integer multiples of it. The measurable physical quantity, frequency, is related to the human perception of pitch. Harmonics are equivalent to what musicians refer to as "overtones." That's all I can tell you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?