Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics of open-ended pipes

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    Hi, I have started trying to make Native American Style Flutes, and have succeeded in making them. I can make them fine, but not knowing why I do what I do create them frustrates me. So recently I have started to become interested in the physics of them. The flute is a pipe open at both ends. I've figured out more than I thought I ever could, but I'm still stuck on a few items.

1. What is causing pressure nodes and antinodes all the way down the pipe? I can understand what causes it at the ends. (I think)

2. Does the standing wave create the pattern of nodes and antinodes, pressure and least pressure, through the pipe?

I have thought and thought and think that I have figured out why the pressure antinodes are at the same place as the displacement nodes, and vice versa. To me, it seems that the more pressure there is, the less the molecules can move. And the area with least pressure would have the most movement.

But what is causing these pressure nodes and antinodes, and displacement nodes and antinodes down the entire length of the pipe?

My best guess is that the standing wave is causing this somehow?

I'm not sure if these pictures will help, but they'll give you somewhat of a feel for what I'm dealing with.
    Sounding Mechanism (flue)
    A flute

Here are a few websites that I have found that aided me in my discoveries.

Thank you all for whoever can provide me with some information about my dilemma!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted