Physics of Piercings: Exploring Force & Angles

• Thread starter 0fawkesgiven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the presenter is trying to explain the physics involved with piercings to a non-expert, and is struggling to find adequate resources. She has identified that force and angles are involved, but is still unsure of more specifics.
0fawkesgiven
This may be considered a homework question but it does not fit the template. Please bear with me.

For my final grade in my physics class, I have to explain an actual phenomenon or example where physics is seen in the real world, and I decided to choose the physics of piercings, since I am interested in body modifications. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find much and what I did find was incredibly vague and lacked actual scientific explanations.
I was able to figure out that the concepts of force and maybe projectiles are involved (if a gun is used) but I have not gotten much more than that. I know that angles are involved as well because you cannot simply force a needle into someone, like a pushpin, but they are either tilted up or down.

Is there anything I am missing or can say about piercings? My presentation has to be very descriptive and must have a concrete connection to physics. Any contributions would be helpful :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can look at the difference between force and pressure. Why is it easier for pointy things to pierce your skin than blunt things? Why is it that I can balance my whole body weight on my feet with no problem, but if I just lightly push a needle at my skin, the needle goes through?

So would it be too off-topic to discuss resistance? (Ex: Sharper objects resist less to skin and therefore need less force to pierce while blunt objects cannot break the skin unless more force is applied)

Thank you for your help, by the way. :thumbs:

Poke a sharp pencil through paper.
Try poking it through skin.
You should notice a difference. Paper does not have a much flexibility as skin. Skin springs back after the stress has been removed.

You could investigate the material aspects of skin and underlying connective tissue.
For example, why is it that when poking a hole through paper with a needle, the needle will fall through the hole but by doing the same thing with skin, the needle will be held in position. Surely one does not want a piercing that will wobble around ( or maybe one does ) in its hole. What is it about skin that makes this possible?

I can provide some insights into the physics of piercings. First, let's consider the force involved in piercing the skin. When a needle or piercing instrument is used, it exerts a force on the skin, causing it to deform and create a hole. This force is dependent on the sharpness of the needle and the speed at which it is inserted. A sharper needle will require less force to pierce the skin, while a duller needle will require more force.

Additionally, the angle at which the needle is inserted also plays a role in the force needed to create a piercing. The skin is more resistant to a needle being inserted perpendicular to its surface, compared to an angled insertion. This is because the skin's fibers are more easily separated when the needle is at an angle, reducing the force needed to pierce through.

Another important concept in the physics of piercings is the concept of pressure. When a piercing is created, the needle not only exerts a force on the skin, but it also creates a localized increase in pressure. This pressure can cause the skin to stretch and deform, allowing the needle to pass through more easily. This pressure also plays a role in the healing process of piercings, as it can affect the blood flow and tissue regeneration in the pierced area.

You also mentioned the use of guns in piercings. These instruments use a spring-loaded mechanism to quickly insert a piercing stud into the skin. In this case, the force and angle of insertion are predetermined by the design of the gun. However, the force and pressure involved in this process are still important factors to consider.

In summary, the physics of piercings involves the concepts of force, pressure, and angles. The force required to create a piercing depends on the sharpness of the needle and the angle of insertion. The localized increase in pressure also plays a role in the piercing process and healing. I hope this helps in your presentation and showcases the connection between physics and piercings.

1. How does the force of a piercing affect the healing process?

The force of a piercing, or the pressure exerted on the pierced area, can impact the healing process in several ways. Too much force, such as from sleeping on the piercing or wearing tight clothing, can disrupt the delicate healing tissues and prolong the healing time. On the other hand, gentle force, such as from cleaning the piercing with saline solution, can promote blood flow and aid in the healing process.

2. What is the best angle for a piercing to minimize discomfort and promote healing?

The ideal angle for a piercing depends on the location and type of piercing. Generally, a piercing should be done at a 90-degree angle to the skin to minimize discomfort and promote healing. However, certain piercings, such as ear cartilage piercings, may require a slightly different angle for optimal healing.

3. How does the angle of a piercing affect the force applied to the surrounding tissues?

The angle of a piercing can greatly impact the force applied to the surrounding tissues. A piercing done at an incorrect angle can cause excessive pressure on the tissues and result in discomfort, scarring, and even rejection of the piercing. Therefore, it is important to consult with a professional piercer to ensure proper placement of the piercing.

4. Can the force and angle of a piercing affect its longevity?

Yes, the force and angle of a piercing can greatly impact its longevity. If a piercing is done with too much force or at the wrong angle, it can cause trauma to the tissues and result in irritation, migration, and even rejection of the piercing. On the other hand, a piercing done with the correct force and angle can promote proper healing and increase its chances of lasting for a long time.

5. What role does the physics of force and angles play in the selection of piercing jewelry?

The physics of force and angles are crucial considerations when selecting piercing jewelry. The jewelry should be appropriate for the location and type of piercing and should not apply excessive force or pressure to the surrounding tissues. The angle of the jewelry should also be carefully chosen to minimize discomfort and promote proper healing.