Physics of Sailing: Ideas & Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential project on the physics of sailing. The person is looking for ideas and resources, particularly for incorporating an experiment into the project. The concept of sail thrust is mentioned, but there is conflicting information available. The conversation also delves into the mechanics of sailboats and how they use their keels to redirect the lift generated by the sail. The suggestion of examining net forces and their directions in different scenarios is proposed, as well as exploring the question of how boats are able to sail into the wind. Finally, the idea of using the concept of Bernoulli's principle is mentioned, but cautioned to consider the relative wind and reference frames.
villiami
Hi,
I am considering a project on the physics of sailing (for last year before college, grade 11 for US I think), but I am still searching for am idea. I would quite like to include a small experiment in this project if possible (though not compulsory). If anyone has any ideas/links I would greatly appreciate them. I have considered sail thrust but there are many sites with conflicting information on this.

Thanks Heaps

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...sailboats basically use their keels (or daggerboards in smaller boats) to redirect the lift produced by the sail and propel the boat. I think a pipeline of the components would look like this (assuming you're tacking into the wind to some degree):

- Air passes over the curved surface of the sail and the "back" of the sail, creating a difference in air velocity
- Due to the difference in air density, the difference in velocity creates lift, and the sail attempts to "lift" toward the curved surface of the sail (I assume perpendicular to the sail's curvature)
- The boat's keel stops the boat from simply sliding sideways, and redirects the wind's force so it pushes the boat FORWARD instead. Normally this is at some angle to the way the sail would go if there were no keel.

So maybe figuring net forces and their directions for a given scenario, or two scenarios, would be interesting. Or maybe just ask the question "How can boats sail into the wind?" Many people do not know how the physics of this work.

Last edited:
Severian596 said:
- Due to the difference in air density, the difference in velocity creates lift, and the sail attempts to "lift" toward the curved surface of the sail (I assume perpendicular to the sail's curvature)
If you're thinking about Bernoulli here it's only partially correct. Just picture the sail as an airfoil, which has relative wind, so be careful about your reference frames. Read some about lift, and you should be fine.

1. What is the physics behind sailing?

The physics behind sailing involves the interactions between wind, water, and the sailboat. The wind creates a force on the sail, which is transferred to the boat and causes it to move. The shape and angle of the sail and the direction of the wind also play a role in the boat's movement.

2. How does the shape of the sail affect sailing?

The shape of the sail affects sailing in several ways. The curvature of the sail creates lift, which helps the boat move forward. The angle of the sail also determines how much wind is captured and the direction in which the boat will travel. A flatter sail will allow the boat to travel faster, while a fuller sail will provide more stability.

3. What is the difference between upwind and downwind sailing?

In upwind sailing, the boat is moving against the direction of the wind. This requires the boat to tack, or zig-zag, in order to make progress towards its destination. Downwind sailing, on the other hand, involves the boat moving in the same direction as the wind. This allows the boat to travel faster and requires less maneuvering.

4. How can I experiment with the physics of sailing?

There are many ways to experiment with the physics of sailing. One simple experiment is to change the angle of the sail and observe how it affects the boat's speed and direction. You can also experiment with different sail shapes and sizes to see how they impact the boat's performance. Additionally, you can use a wind tunnel to study the effects of wind on the sail and boat.

5. What are some real-life applications of the physics of sailing?

The physics of sailing is used in various real-life applications, including competitive sailing, recreational sailing, and even transportation. Sailboats rely on the principles of physics to navigate the water and reach their destination. The technology and research behind the physics of sailing also have applications in industries such as aerodynamics and naval architecture.