Calculating Distance for 140dB Loud Rock Concert Power Output of 93W

In summary, the decibel reading for a sound wave emitted from a point source with a power output of 93 W will be 140 dB at a distance of approximately 1.48 meters. This is equivalent to the noise level of a loud indoor rock concert. The equation used to calculate this distance is I = P/4(Pi)r^2, where I is the intensity, P is the power, and r is the distance. The decibel scale is based on the logarithmic relationship between intensity and loudness, with the minimum intensity detectable by the human ear being 10^-12 W/m^2 and the sound level being defined as 10*log(I/I0).
Mike77
A point source emits sound waves with a power output of 93 W. At what distance will the decibel reading be 140 dB, which is noise level of a loud indoor rock concert?
Answer in units of meters.

For this one I tried using the equation:

I = P/4(Pi) r^2

I'm not a physics major and have not done anything physics related since high school so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I = intensity
P = Power
r = distance

The human ear senses the intensity of sound on a logarithmic scale. The loudness or sound level in decibels is defined with respect to the minimum intensity detectable by the human ear,

I0=10-12 W/m2.

L=10*log(I/I0).

ehild

1. How is the distance for a 140dB loud rock concert calculated?

The distance for a 140dB loud rock concert can be calculated using the inverse square law formula, which takes into account the power output of the concert and the decibel level. The formula is D = (P/4πL)^0.5, where D is the distance, P is the power output, and L is the decibel level.

2. What is the power output of a typical 140dB loud rock concert?

The power output of a 140dB loud rock concert can vary, but on average it is around 93W. This power output is enough to produce the loud volume and energy needed for a rock concert.

3. How does the distance for a loud rock concert affect the sound quality?

The distance for a loud rock concert can greatly affect the sound quality. As the distance increases, the sound waves spread out and lose intensity, resulting in a decrease in volume and potentially a decrease in sound quality. This is why it is important to consider the distance when planning a concert.

4. Can the distance for a 140dB loud rock concert be adjusted?

Yes, the distance for a 140dB loud rock concert can be adjusted by changing the power output or using sound barriers and other acoustic treatments. However, it is important to note that these adjustments may also affect the sound quality and should be carefully planned.

5. What is the maximum safe distance to be from a 140dB loud rock concert?

The maximum safe distance from a 140dB loud rock concert is around 100 feet. At this distance, the sound level drops to around 85dB, which is considered a safe level for prolonged exposure. However, it is recommended to wear earplugs or other hearing protection to further reduce the risk of damage to hearing.