1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics of the computers: Help!

1. Apr 19, 2014 #1
    Hello,
    I don't know either if I'm posting this in the right section and if I spelled all the words correctly (I'm not a english-native speaker).
    I wanted to do a research on the physics concepts beyond computers especially regarding but not exclusively alternate current and magnetism. To let you understand, I want something that explains how computer works through physics.
    I can't find any text on this topic. I want something not too hard or too tough to understand, not too long or specific.
    I will need to do this research for my last year of high school.
    If anybody knows a textbook or a journal about this please let me know, I will be very grateful.
    Thank you and have a good day :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Well, I think the reason you're not finding much is that the physics would be mostly in the hardware of the machine but that would be totally insufficient to understand how they work.

As an example, computer logic uses NAND and NOR gates as the basic building blocks of the electronics. These are combined to make flip-flops, registers and other larger components which are further used to make CPUs.

For storage, electromagnetics and disk drives come into play and for CD/DVD players use laser technology to read and write data in binary to the disk.

Printers cover other kinds of technology.

This website may help you begin your studies:

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/212_fall2009.web/chris_plutt/index.html

4. Apr 19, 2014 #3
    This was EXACTLY what I was searching for.
    Thank you so much for your help!
    Have a good day :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook