What is the Formula for Calculating Doppler Effect in a Moving Train Scenario?

In summary, the frequency detected on a stationary train would be 295 Hz and the frequency detected on a train moving towards the first train at 21 m/s would be 333 Hz.
dagitt

Homework Statement

A train moving toward a detector at 29 m/s blows a 295-Hz whistle. What frequency is detected on each of the following?
(a) a stationary train
(b) a train moving toward the first train at 21 m/s

Homework Equations

V = f * Wavelength
(f = frequency, V = velocity in m/s)

T = 1/f
(T= period in sec.)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. i know the doppler's effect is involved here somehow, and that it has to do with frequency increasing as the space between the two objects (one emitting the waves) grows smaller. but my teacher never gave us any sort of formula for this scenario, and i just absolutely have no idea how to approach this problem or determine by how much the frequency increases given just velocity & frequency. please help..Any or all help appreciated...I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I really was never good at physics or anything math related...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula needed is F = F' * (V +/- Vd)/(V +/- Vs) where F is the frequency observed, F' is the frequency emitted, V is the speed of sound, Vd is the speed of the detector and Vs is the speed of the source. You have to determine the signs based on your knowledge of how sound works.

1. What are waves and how are they related to sound?

Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium. Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that can travel through air, water, or solids. Sound waves are created when an object vibrates and causes the molecules in the medium to vibrate, creating a pattern of compressed and rarefied areas that travel through the medium as a wave.

2. What is the difference between longitudinal and transverse waves?

Longitudinal waves are waves in which the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave's motion. Sound waves are an example of longitudinal waves. Transverse waves are waves in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's motion. Light waves are an example of transverse waves.

3. How is sound produced?

Sound is produced by vibrations. When an object vibrates, it causes the surrounding medium to vibrate, creating sound waves. The frequency or pitch of the sound is determined by the rate of vibration, while the amplitude or volume is determined by the intensity of the vibration.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength, frequency, and speed of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave is the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that are in phase, or have the same position in their respective cycles. The frequency is the number of complete cycles or vibrations that occur in one second. The speed of a wave is the distance it travels in a given amount of time. The relationship between these three quantities is given by the equation: speed = frequency x wavelength.

5. How is the speed of sound affected by different mediums?

The speed of sound is affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through. Generally, sound travels faster in denser mediums such as solids, and slower in less dense mediums such as gases. The temperature and humidity of the medium can also affect the speed of sound. In dry air at 20 degrees Celsius, sound travels at approximately 343 meters per second.