Preparing for Physics Olympiads in 4 Months

In summary, this person is trying to prepare for an olympiad and is having trouble because he only has four months to do it and he is new to the topic. He recommends going through the solutions to the problems in FOP and Irodov and recommends other resources, including the book Indian National Physics Olympiad by A.B. Saurabh, which is cheap.
accioquote
Hi, I'm new here, and I hope someone could help me out.
I'm in grade 12, and plan to write the preliminary exams for the olympiads this year. The problem is, i have only around four months till this date.
I went through a tough time in 11th as I switched schools, and in general my grades fell sharply. I've just about picked myself up, just in time perhaps.
In order to prepare for this exam, I have three books: Resnick Halliday Walker's FOP, Irodov's Problems in General Physics, and University Physics by Sears, Young and Zemansky(don't use this much).
Since I'm really hard pressed for time, I was wondering whether it would be a wise idea to just go through the worked out solutions from the first two books. I have FOPsolutions to all 4000+ plus problems as well as two books with the solutions to Irodov's.
I've beaten about the bush for quite some time now, the question is: Is it possible for me to reach olympiad level(preliminary for now) in four months, mainly going through the solutions to the problems in FOP and Irodov?
This is something I'm very passionate about and extremely willing to work towards. I'm a restless kid but physics will make me sit still. I promise not to be lazy.
What do you think?
Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Never think for solutions it is waste i bet best thing is going for this if you are an India or any way get this book indian national physics olympiad by A.B saurabh http://www.flipkart.com/indian-national-physics-olympiad-8188222704/p/itmdyv2szmabrrmt in that do level 1,level 2 which is enough for getting selected for preliminary and go for examples for imo level.this is cheap book.in examples do not see solution.Or do fob questions which are 2 are 3 dotted,additional.And try irodov if you have time.you can get even ipho if done with these all books+ipho solved papers.

Last edited:
i think four months are sufficient if your basic concepts are strong.try to find where,why and how to use a concept or formula in a given problem. use the resnick halliday FOP and University physics first because it is recommended by olympiad commitee in india.other recommended resourse can be found on olympiads.hbcse.tifr.res.in/subjects/physics/resourse/

1. How do I prepare for Physics Olympiads in just 4 months?

Preparing for Physics Olympiads in a short amount of time can be challenging, but it is definitely possible. The key is to create a structured study plan that focuses on the key concepts and topics that are commonly tested in the Olympiads. It is also important to practice solving problems regularly and seeking help from experienced mentors or teachers.

2. What are some recommended study materials for Physics Olympiads?

Some recommended study materials for Physics Olympiads include textbooks, past Olympiad papers, and online resources such as video lectures and practice problems. It is also helpful to join study groups or attend workshops where you can discuss and solve problems with other aspiring Olympiad participants.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for Physics Olympiads?

Improving problem-solving skills for Physics Olympiads requires practice and exposure to a variety of challenging problems. Make sure to regularly attempt practice problems and analyze your mistakes to understand where you need to improve. It is also helpful to learn different problem-solving strategies and techniques from experienced mentors or through online resources.

4. What should I focus on while studying for Physics Olympiads?

While studying for Physics Olympiads, it is important to focus on mastering the fundamental concepts and principles. Make sure to thoroughly understand the topics that are commonly tested in the Olympiads and practice applying them to solve complex problems. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions asked in the Olympiads.

5. Are there any tips for managing time during Physics Olympiads?

Time management is crucial during Physics Olympiads, as you will have a limited amount of time to solve a large number of problems. It is important to practice solving problems within a time limit to improve your speed and accuracy. Additionally, make sure to read and understand the questions carefully before attempting to solve them, and do not spend too much time on a single problem.