Physics Olympiad: Award Percentages & Question 1

In summary, a student discusses their experience with the British Physics Olympiad, finding it difficult and asking for information on the required percentages for awards. They also mention their plans to ask a physics lecturer about a difficult question on Paper 2 and question if the competition has already ended. Another student praises their participation and asks for a link to the questions.
Dave 007
Hi,
I did the Olympiad this week and I found it very hard. Does anyone know what the percentages needed for the awards are.
Also can anyone remember any of the parts of Question 1 as I found it very hard and i wanted to ask my neighbour who is a physics lecturer about it

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way this is the "British Physics Olympiad" paper I am talking about

Was this paper one or two?

The Physics Olympiad paper that I did was Paper 2

Well it's hard to tell what the grade boundaries will be because they move depending on how difficult candidates found the exam. I didn't do the physics one last year only maths but i think a good guess would be, bronze about >40%, silver >55%, gold>70%, considering how hard these things are supposed to be.

Out of curiosity, is the BPhO OVER for 2005-06? My teacher claims I'm going to sit it this week and I thought it had finished ages ago. :S

Props to you for competing! Do you have a web pointer to the questions?

1. What is the Physics Olympiad?

The Physics Olympiad is a prestigious international competition for high school students who demonstrate exceptional knowledge and skills in physics. It is organized by the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) and consists of theoretical and experimental exams.

2. How are awards distributed in the Physics Olympiad?

Awards are distributed based on the performance of the participants in both the theoretical and experimental exams. The top-performing students are awarded gold, silver, and bronze medals, while the remaining participants receive honorable mentions.

3. What percentage of participants receive awards in the Physics Olympiad?

On average, about 8-10% of the participants in the Physics Olympiad receive awards. This percentage may vary each year depending on the difficulty of the exams and the performance of the participants.

4. How is the first question in the Physics Olympiad determined?

The first question in the Physics Olympiad is typically selected by the host country and is often related to a current topic or research area in physics. The question is designed to challenge the participants' critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Can students from any country participate in the Physics Olympiad?

Yes, the Physics Olympiad is open to high school students from all countries. Each country is responsible for selecting and training their own team of participants to compete in the international competition.