1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Olympics?

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Drop the Bomb
    a. design a system that attaches to a moving cable car. The system must drop a water balloon "bomb" on a large target while moving. Cable car is supplied.
    [this was the information students were given.]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Any ideas? I'm pretty stumped myself. I though maybe some sort of removable bottom to the box, but the box has to keep moving the whole time. Since the zip line the car is traveling between is attached to two trees, my first thought was to have a removable door tied to a string tied to the tree. This string would be the same length as the distance from tree to target. The door would come off at the end of the rope, and balloon would fall.
    Do you think this would work out? I'm just looking for some feedback. Thanks!
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2
    Keep in mind that the balloon travels at the same speed as the car in the "x-direction."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?