1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Open Day Desperate Help

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    Hello guys (and girls as well). My college is having a physics open day on the 30th of april, however we should be done our preparations by the 30th of april. do you guys have ANY idea that we perform? no matter how small or large it is please share it, we need the ideas to keep flowing

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Are you looking for things to demo?

At the recent Explore UT open house, they setup a trebuchet to hurl water balloons into a crowd of students.

4. Mar 19, 2015 #3

jedishrfu

some physics simulations on computer paired with a real physical system would be cool like simulate a pendulum and then show one next to it in action.

5. Mar 20, 2015 #4
    yes im looking for stuff to demo, please help my instructor emailed me he needs me to get some experiments

6. Mar 20, 2015 #5

berkeman

"They"? I'm guessing that it was *you* at the controls on that demo! :smile:

7. Mar 20, 2015 #6

berkeman

At the open houses for my undergrad university (UC Davis), there were several interesting exhibits...

** A post that could swing between the poles of a large permanent magnet, and you could attach disks of various materials to the end of the post. The ones that were conductive got stopped as they swung through the gap (because of what?)...

** A red diode laser that was modulated with music from a radio receiver, and a photodetector and audio amp across the room. It was fun watching kids (and parents) block the beam with their hand to cut off the music...

And Google Images results for a search on Fun Physics Demonstrations... https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...sedr...0...1ac.1.62.img..0.26.515.y3lR5Lykj1M

:smile:

8. Mar 20, 2015 #7

jedishrfu

There was one simple setup with a computer and an acoustical sensor attached to a sledge hammer. You could then make your own "earthquakes by dropping the sledge hammer on a flat rock. The computer would display the acoustical trace.

9. Mar 20, 2015 #8

jedishrfu

No, it was they (the ME majors). I was a disinterested bystander walking by making sure it didn't hit me.

Another cool demo was the Oobleck pool where they dropped a ton of corn starch in water, mixed it up thoroughly and invited students to run across the surface.

http://www.livescience.com/21536-oobleck-recipe.html

10. Mar 21, 2015 #9
    guys i truly appreciate your efforts. however, i want something that is more physics-ish rather than engineering. one of the goals of our fair is to make studnets love physics

11. Mar 21, 2015 #10

jedishrfu

Define physicsish

OObleck is an example of a non-newtonian fluid

The trebuchet uses a variety of principles to lob an object, the objects trajectory is a well defined physics problem.

Acoustical sensing uses a lot of underlying physics of waves and reflection and refraction...

12. Mar 21, 2015 #11
    oobleck needs a lor of work bro
    trebuchet is more of an engineering issue
    can u alaborate please on acoustical?
    THANK YOU LOADS! <3

13. Mar 22, 2015 #12
    bump! please :')

14. Mar 22, 2015 #13

jedishrfu

I think you need to do some research on your own now. We have provided a few examples already and you've rejected them, so rather than continue here you should do some personal research to find what you're looking for.

15. Mar 22, 2015 #14
    ohh im so sorry if you felt rejected!! i actually finished up google
    its not me whos rejecting them, its my physic professor. please give me more i beg you T_T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook