Physics Open Day Desperate Help

In summary, the college is having an open day for physics on the 30th of April, however the students should be done their preparations by the 30th of April. There will be demos available, but the student is requesting something more physics-ish rather than engineering-ish. There are many examples of physics demonstrations available online.
Bassim
Hello guys (and girls as well). My college is having a physics open day on the 30th of april, however we should be done our preparations by the 30th of april. do you guys have ANY idea that we perform? no matter how small or large it is please share it, we need the ideas to keep flowing

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for things to demo?

At the recent Explore UT open house, they setup a trebuchet to hurl water balloons into a crowd of students.

some physics simulations on computer paired with a real physical system would be cool like simulate a pendulum and then show one next to it in action.

yes I am looking for stuff to demo, please help my instructor emailed me he needs me to get some experiments

jedishrfu said:
they setup a trebuchet to hurl water balloons into a crowd of students

"They"? I'm guessing that it was *you* at the controls on that demo! :smile:

Bassim said:
yes I am looking for stuff to demo, please help my instructor emailed me he needs me to get some experiments

At the open houses for my undergrad university (UC Davis), there were several interesting exhibits...

** A post that could swing between the poles of a large permanent magnet, and you could attach disks of various materials to the end of the post. The ones that were conductive got stopped as they swung through the gap (because of what?)...

** A red diode laser that was modulated with music from a radio receiver, and a photodetector and audio amp across the room. It was fun watching kids (and parents) block the beam with their hand to cut off the music...

And Google Images results for a search on Fun Physics Demonstrations... https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...sedr...0...1ac.1.62.img..0.26.515.y3lR5Lykj1M

:smile:

There was one simple setup with a computer and an acoustical sensor attached to a sledge hammer. You could then make your own "earthquakes by dropping the sledge hammer on a flat rock. The computer would display the acoustical trace.

berkeman said:
"They"? I'm guessing that it was *you* at the controls on that demo! :smile:

No, it was they (the ME majors). I was a disinterested bystander walking by making sure it didn't hit me.

Another cool demo was the Oobleck pool where they dropped a ton of corn starch in water, mixed it up thoroughly and invited students to run across the surface.

http://www.livescience.com/21536-oobleck-recipe.html

guys i truly appreciate your efforts. however, i want something that is more physics-ish rather than engineering. one of the goals of our fair is to make studnets love physics

Define physicsish

OObleck is an example of a non-Newtonian fluid

The trebuchet uses a variety of principles to lob an object, the objects trajectory is a well defined physics problem.

Acoustical sensing uses a lot of underlying physics of waves and reflection and refraction...

oobleck needs a lor of work bro
trebuchet is more of an engineering issue
can u alaborate please on acoustical?
THANK YOU LOADS! <3

bump! please :')

I think you need to do some research on your own now. We have provided a few examples already and you've rejected them, so rather than continue here you should do some personal research to find what you're looking for.

ohh I am so sorry if you felt rejected! i actually finished up google
its not me whos rejecting them, its my physics professor. please give me more i beg you T_T

1. What is the purpose of a Physics Open Day?

A Physics Open Day is an event that is organized by a university or research institution to showcase the exciting world of physics to potential students and the general public. It is a great opportunity for individuals to learn about the latest research and discoveries in the field of physics, as well as the various career opportunities available in this field.

2. Who can attend a Physics Open Day?

Anyone who is interested in physics and wants to learn more about it can attend a Physics Open Day. This can include high school students, undergraduates, postgraduates, teachers, and members of the general public.

3. What can I expect to see at a Physics Open Day?

At a Physics Open Day, you can expect to see interactive demonstrations, talks by physicists and researchers, laboratory tours, and hands-on activities. You may also have the opportunity to speak with current students and faculty members to learn more about their experiences and research.

4. Do I need to have a background in physics to attend a Physics Open Day?

No, you do not need to have a background in physics to attend a Physics Open Day. The purpose of the event is to introduce people to the world of physics and educate them about the subject. However, having a basic understanding of physics concepts may enhance your experience at the event.

5. Can I bring my family or friends to a Physics Open Day?

Yes, you can bring your family and friends to a Physics Open Day. It is a great opportunity to introduce them to the world of physics and share your interest in the subject with them. Many open days also offer activities and demonstrations suitable for all ages.