1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics or Chemistry?

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    I have searched the forums for this thread and have read several threads but I still have a few unanswered questions. Which major will involve more of the interactions between subatomic particles? Right now, chemistry is very interesting to me because it deals a lot with the interactions of the atoms and how and why nature behaves the way it does. However, looking back on the advancements made in chemistry, I notice quite a few of the advancements were done by physicists. Also, reading about physics really has me interested because from what I can tell, physics is more involved with day to day things which excites me. Quantum mechanics especially. My original plan was to get a phD in physics and pursue a career in academia. Over 50% of physicists don't have a job related to physics, apparently. If you have received an education from an Ivy league, will your chances increase? Also, what are the career prospects in nanotechnology with a physics phD?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2
    Lots of questions there.

Chemistry tends to be more applied these days, thus more industrial jobs. More demand means larger Chem departments at schools which means more faculty jobs.

Physics is both more fundamental and deals more with stuff other than atoms, molecules, and electrons. There is nothing fundamentally new to discover in Chemistry, it is all applied quantum mechanics and thermo in one way or another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook